Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day and I had a delicious day. Adam brought me breakfast from Whataburger, we went to lunch at Mexican Inn and met his parents at Outback for dinner. There was church and a nap in between.
I don't know if it's Hallmark's fault or memories of my mother lounging on Mother's Day, but somewhere I got the idea that Mother's Day meant that I didn't have to lift a finger. In my mind, Mother's Day is like actually practicing the Sabbath. Oh no! I can't load that dishwasher! It's Mother's Day!
I had to force myself not to do small acts of work, and then at the end of the day, I wondered, what's the point? Making myself not hang those clothes was both difficult yesterday and more work I have to do today.
Where I got my sense of entitlement from, I don't know. While it's great to relax on Mother's Day, I should also use some common sense. There are other mothers in the world that don't get three meals served to them in one day, that actually have to go to work on that day, or women in other parts of the world who would laugh at a day for a mom to sit on her fanny.
At dinner last night, I sat next to my sister-in-law Amanda. I asked her what she received as a Mother's Day present. I was all ready to hear the sentimental actions and gifts she had received from our niece. Nope. She got nothing.
"Why?" I asked, mortified. I, by the way, got three meals, flowers, and an Ipod touch.
"I just don't need any more stuff," she said.
"Not even flowers?"
"No, the cats eat the flowers and they die in a couple of days anyway, so I told everyone to save their money."
That was quite humbling. Not only did she not receive any material gifts for Mother's Day, it was because she didn't want them. It was a small reality check for someone who got spoiled but didn't need it, either.
"Well, did you at least get to relax today?" I asked her, expecting that she, too, laid around and didn't lift a finger.
And those of you anticipating my reality check again, are right. Yes, my sister-in-law took her mother to the ER in the middle of the night. And she did a week's worth of laundry and cleaned the house. She also took her daughter to acting lessons on the other side of town. She had more she was going to do that night.
On the way home from dinner, I announced that Mother's Day was officially over, and got to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment