Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gardening

Several of my friends have traditional gardens in their backyard, but I've always struggled with that.  We don't really have a place for a garden, with the pool, the playset, the deck, and the trampoline.  I also don't have a rototiller to dig up the dirt to get it ready.  Although I've wanted to garden for a long time, these details have impeded me.
This year I decided to poo-poo traditional.  I'm successfully gardening in every terra-cotta pot I own.  We've got lavendar, tomatoes, cilantro, okra, squash, and bell pepper.  None of it has been ready to harvest yet, but I think we'll be able to eat a tomato by this weekend.
What I love about gardening, is that it is a lot like my church--full of love.  When I look outside, I see the aloe vera that my late grandmother started in pots and that I have continuously repotted and shared with others.  I see the Rose of Sharon bush that grew from a seed from my great uncle.  We've got a beautiful hot pink oleander bush that was a housewarming gift from my grandparents.  There's mint, marigolds, and lamb's ear from our friend Ann-Marie.  And I've got my daisies which I planted from seeds five or six years ago.  Those make me happy every time I see them.
So like the church, I am filled with love every time I interact with my potted garden.  When the plant grows out of a pot, I share it with others.  If I fail to water and pay attention to the plants, they die just like a relationship that's not cultivated.
Excuse me while I go water my church.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I have shamrocks in my front yard that came from the batch my mom transplanted from my grandparents' house after they died almost 20 years ago. I think of MeeMaw and PawPaw every time I walk out into the front yard and see the little bushel of shamrocks.
    And, hey, if your aloe vera starts overgrowing its pot, and you need to pass some more along, I will gladly take a shoot or two!

    ReplyDelete