Monday, May 16, 2011

Life Truths

In Gretchen Rubin's Book The Happiness Project, she lists "Splendid Truths."  These are proverbs about life.  You don't have to read her book to learn about them; I linked it up above.  I've been trying to think about what my own life truths are, and I've come up with three.

1.  Efficiency does not always equal productivity.  I blogged about this one a few days ago.

2.  Don't volunteer unless you really want to. 
In the various groups I'm a part of, there is constantly requests for volunteers for any number of activities.  A Life Truth I have learned, though, is that I shouldn't volunteer unless I want to do the action.  If I volunteer unwillingly, or agree to do something I don't want to do because I was asked, I resent doing the action and don't do it well.  If I say no, somehow, someone else always comes up and does it, usually with joy.
One example of this is at church in the Children's Sunday School area.  I used to volunteer to be a substitute teacher for the kids' classes.  When I did it though, it was work and I didn't really enjoy it.  I missed the interaction in my adult Sunday school class.  One day I was asked to do it and had double-booked myself, so I had to get Adam to teach for me.  He loved it.  He does a good job and enjoys it so much that he substitutes regularly now.  So once I got my grumpy self out of the way, it allowed Adam to do it with joy.  I love how that works out.

3.  What you get upset about is in proportion to how big your world is.

When I was in high school, I actually got upset about who was chosen to pray at our bacclaureate program.  I am ashamed to say, but I had a petition floating around, getting friends to sign a paper saying that the selected person wasn't "Christian" enough and that I would be a better choice.  Nowadays that's laughable to me.  There are a  number of actions that I did in that situation that were not "Christian" enough.  But the point is that my world was high school and church and so small details of life meant a lot to me.  I cared passionately about the littlest things, like if my necklace clasp had sunk to the bottom of my pendant and who was praying for the class.  My world was very small and I couldn't see out of it to a bigger picture.

When I was in college, I had a larger worldview and got upset about bigger issues like whether or not the president of the university was trying to suppress the freedom of the university press and whether or not I should get my belly pierced and was it okay to smoke a cigarette even if I didn't know how?  Although my world had grown, it was still pretty small and centered on the most important person in the world; me.

After college, I got upset about items at the workplace.  At my bookstore job, if someone put books in random places on the shelf, I was enraged.  At school, we fought over how much copy paper each teacher had, and was someone pilfering it for personal use?  The important things in life again weren't a part of the big picture.  I giggle now thinking back...Had I been on my deathbed during that period, would I have confessed to taking some paper from the office?

Now, after having children, I have gained a little more perspective.  If I lose friends because my hair is crazy or because my toenails were painted by a four year old, then those are friends that I don't want around anyway.  Fashion, schmashion.  If it's clean, I'll wear it.

My world has definitely grown.  Part the growth is realizing how small my world is.  I have concerns for people I can see and I can't identify yet with those from faraway places like Pakistan or Japan.  I worry about the homeless man that gives me a bookmark each time I see him and making sure my friend from church has life essentials.  I try to make sure my children are generous and caring and empathetic to those who are different from them.  I am concious of sharing love with the Wal-Mart cashier or a frenzied friend.

So one thing I've learned about myself is that my concern for the little details in life fall away as I focus on the big details.

1 comment:

  1. All great points, especially the one about irritations being proportional to your world. I have to constantly remind myself of the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete