Wednesday, April 27, 2011

David Sedaris is Awesome!

Recently my friend Amy bought a ticket to go see David Sedaris, but she couldn't go, so she sold it to me. Sedaris is one of my favorite authors; he is hilarious. Adam and I have talked several times about buying tickets to see him, but it always seemed like an unnecessary expenditure. Since Amy needed to sell her ticket though, I decided to help a friend out.

My favorite book of Sedaris' is Me Talk Pretty One Day. I read that book on a road trip with Adam and was laughing so hard that I had to read much of it aloud to him. Of course, that was before we had kids...Now, I'd just have to get him to read it himself.

I was the third wheel on a date with my friend Cara and her husband Ken. I didn't mind; they let me hitch a ride to Dallas and talk their ears off. Apparently I need to get out more because I swear I took five breaths the entire night. I was going blah blah blah blah blah.

As well as reading a hilarious essay about poop and snot in China, Sedaris told a few jokes. Here's a couple that I remember:

How did the Mexican cut his pizza?
With Little Caesars.

An old man gets ready for bed one night and the doorbell rings. He answers it and a snail is there, wanting to sell him magazine subscriptions. This angers the old man, so he kicks the snail as hard and as far as he can, then slams the door and goes to bed. Two years later, the doorbell rings again. It's the same snail, who says, "What was that for?"

The people watching last night was excellent as well. Among the crowd were young gay guys, elderly people, and couples. It was quite a diverse group. My favorite was the 70+ year old lady who had pig-tails and eyeglass reachers. I like to imagine that she rode her motorcycle to the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment