Monday, April 11, 2011

Blackberry Bush

About six years ago, when I was still a teacher, one of my friends gave me a cutting from her blackberry bush. I was very excited about it and went home and planted it immediately. My thought was that it would grow in the corner of my flower bed and I could save money on buying blackberries.

The first year, it didn't do anything. I vaguely remember stepping around something kind of spiky next to the pool.

The second year, a couple of blackberries sprouted, but they were immediately eaten, and I couldn't figure out what that spiky vine growing was. Sometimes I just don't connect the dots.

The third year, and each year subsequently, I have gotten zero blackberries, but the vine has taken over my little flowerbed! Apparently the blackberry "bush" didn't grow to be a bush, but a vine that is choking everything else out.

Each spring I put on my garden gloves and pull up the sprouts. I always get part of the root but not all of it. Every time I think I have it cleared out, it just grows back. It's quite frustrating and painful if you step on it.

Last week when I was pulling up the sprouts, I thought about how life is sometimes like a blackberry bush. Something small and good, if unchecked, grows into something bad that takes over your life. Also, if you're completely oblivious to the vine that is taking over your flowerbed, you're likely to get a thorn in your foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment