Monday, April 29, 2013

Seeing the world through writer's eyes

Since I was a young girl, I have enjoyed writing.  I have boxes of journals dating all the way back to second grade when I had my first crush and though I can't remember his name, I can remember the fun and excitement of writing in my pink journal with the gold heart clasp that locked.
When  I look back on my life and my journals, I can see how much I've grown.  I can relive some uncomfortable moments and happy times.  One day I will offer them to my children as an emotional history of their mother.
I have a journal on me at all times.  In my purse, in my car door, in my kitchen, in the living room, in the bedroom.  The thought is that by practicing and writing down what I feel and what I observe, I can get better at it and one day write a book.
One day I will write a book.  It has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember, but only recently did I realize that I won't have a "road to Damascus" experience. I had misplaced hope that I will be travelling down the road and see a bright light and hear angels sing while I obtain enlightenment.  Apparently writers don't wake up one morning with a book already written in their head.  They don't sit down at the computer and pour out perfection.
In her book Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott describes seeing the world through "writer's eyes."  Basically that means paying close attention to the world around you and listening and watching for story.
"There is real skill in hearing all those words that real people--and your characters--say and to recording what you have heard--and the latter is or should be more interesting and concise and even more true than what was actually said."
So I'm practicing paying attention.  I'm listening, really listening, to people around me and observing.  I'm searching for stories.  I love a good story and I'm learning to write one.

No comments:

Post a Comment