Sunday, April 7, 2013

Adventures in Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday.  I turned 35, and I'm quite happy with that.  I'm not too young and I'm not too old.  Old enough to accept that I'm an adult but young enough not to act like one sometimes.
We have a friend who used to be a missionary and a pilot.  About nine months ago the kids started showing an interest in learning more about planes, so I asked him if he could possibly take us for a flight in his.  He agreed and we've been trying to schedule it since then.  With unpredictable weather and busy schedules, we finally decided  yesterday would be the day.

The kids and I were excited.  We'd be in the plane and Adam had plans to stand on the roof waving at us.  When our friend arrived at our house, he gave me several ziploc and shopping bags just in case we got sick in the air.  I laughed and on the plane, put them in back, almost out of reach.

Yesterday was a very windy day, and to sum up our 45 minutes in the air, it was bumpy, Paul got scared, and Claire and I had to reach for the bags.  We did get to see Adam on the roof, but I was nearly immobile with nausea and couldn't take photos in the air. Our pilot was so kind and generous, but we just couldn't take it. Luckily, I don't think the kids will be scarred for life from this.  For me, I am glad I am wearing the "adult" label now because I am adult enough to say, I don't need to do that again.  I am so grateful we had the experience, and now I can go on with life.

Besides that, I took a lovely nap, went to the grocery store by myself, and then we had friends over.  I decided that I didn't want to mess with a restaurant on a Saturday night and feeding people makes me happy, so that's what we did.  The boys manned the grill and the girls chopped vegetables and chatted while I made homemade tortillas.  We finished the night by playing the Awkward Family Photos game, which every time, makes me laugh so hard I can't breathe.

I received two birthday cakes.  My dear friend Stacy made one for me: (lemon poke cake)













And Adam bought the other:
You might wonder why my name isn't on that cake.  We have a friend named BettieCarol who instructed the kids on the proper North-Carolina way to say her name.  "BettieCarol" pronounced something like "BayCarl" is the kid's new catch phrase.  They run around the house saying, "Oh BettieCarol!"  Paul invented this knock knock joke and every time he tells me it I have to take a moment to stop laughing.  Adam wanted the cake to say something funny, and as he puts it, "What's funnier than this?"  I loved it!


It was a good birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment