Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Stepping into the Sunlight

Today I'm sick.  I've got a disgusting nose and cough and I'm staying home from work to avoid sharing germs and getting worse.
Since I'm staying home sick today, oddly my to-do list is longer than normal.  I'll be at home, so why can't I do a full day's work from the office as well as clean the entire house and fold and hang up eight loads of laundry?
I'd never expect that much from anyone else, but for some reason, I expect more from myself.
I had these grandiose and impossible plans for the day, but then I stepped outside.  It is a beautiful day in Fort Worth, Texas and the only sounds I can hear right now are my fingers on the keyboard and an orchestra of birds in the backyard.
www.sxu.hu
Stepping outside in the sunlight always helps me gain perspective and remind myself where I am.
At both of my jobs, I work in a classroom or an office without windows.  I get frantically busy and focused on the tasks at hand.  Some days I am teaching my heart out, trying to get third graders to comprehend reading enough to pass their test.  Other days I am engulfed in trying to communicate every important activity at our church in many mediums.
But just when that molehill starts looking like a mountain, I have the privilege of stepping outside.  I can only work away from home during the same time Paul is in preschool, so about 2 every afternoon, I step outside.
When I exit the building and feel the sun on my face, the mountains shrink back into molehills and I know that I am loved.
Even on a rainy or cold day, when I step outside and feel wetness on my cheeks or cold wind, I am reminded of how small my problems are and how big God is.
Switching from an indoor frenzy to a walk outside to my car allows me to transition and reset.  I'm able to put my tasks in perspective and not worry so much about what is happening inside the building.  I remind myself once again that I am not the Messiah and I can't fix everything and save the world.
I am just one person who loves God, loves my family, and loves sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment