Saturday, April 20, 2013

What floors and zombies have in common

Many years ago, Adam Boyette and I went to a haunted house.  I was absolutely terrified, and then there was a guy with a chainsaw, and I will never go to a haunted house again.
Even though I won't do it, I was able to learn fascinating stories about haunted houses yesterday while I was in the safety and sunlight of my own home.
Our flooring contractor showed up to measure the floor in car that had a Zombie Response Team logo on it. I was curious about the logo on his car, so I asked him.
When he's not measuring floors, this guy is on staff at The Parker House, a haunted house located in Denton.
Here are some facts that I learned about haunted houses:
1. If you are in the industry, or in the know, you call them "haunts." My new friend kept saying, "The haunt I work does it this way..."
2. Most haunts have story lines to go with them.  This was probably the most fascinating fact to me and one that I kept asking him more about.  For his haunt, the organizers did historical research, found a creepy story, and built a haunted house around it.  I had assumed haunts were just collections of really scary things, but most of them tell a story line.  You can read the story for his haunt on the website. Haunts with stories are called "theme haunts."
3. There are "touch haunts" and "no-touch haunts." The Parker House is currently a no-touch haunt, but discussions are underway to make a change.  In their current position their staff consists of many teenagers, and no one under the age of 18 is desirable for a "touch haunt."  I incorrectly assumed that had to do with hormones, but in reality it has to do with controlled touching.  Touching in a situation like this is just supposed to be a gentle brush of the legs or upper arm and teens just have a harder time with that.
4.  This place is so organized, they even have a 10 year plan.  Their latest addition will be an asylum, where their main character is sent to after she murders people.  Eventually they will open a small bed and breakfast on the property so people can spend the night at a haunt.
5.  In the past, blood was a mixture of Karo syrup and food coloring, but not anymore.  Karo syrup attracts ants and food coloring stains skin and clothes.  The blood on the walls of this haunt is made of Elmer's glue and leather tanner.  Mixed together, this gives the blood a wet, exposed blood look.  (Apparently the color in the tanner is much more authentic than food coloring.)
6.  Even though haunts are only open during the Halloween season, the staff literally works year-round to build and organize it.  My friend had just worked late two nights before.
7.  Working at a haunt is a lifestyle, not just a job.  My friend had tattoos on both arms that were related to his haunt.  In telling me about his haunt, he showed me his tattoos as a visual for the story.  "This part looks like this...."
8. Port-a-potties are located right next to the entrance.  This is crucial.  Go to the bathroom before you enter a haunt.  I was unable to get any hard numbers, but using the bathroom on yourself, vomiting, or passing out is a common occurrence for visitors of this particular haunt.  This is handled in this way: 1. Wet or soil yourself?  Move along.  Port-a-potties are outside.   2. Vomit? The haunt pauses and distracts other visitors while cleanup takes place.  3. Pass out?  Medical attention immediately.
I was grateful to this gentleman and thanked him several times for giving me all this information.  I have much more respect for haunts now.  As he left, I asked him about his schedule, because he obviously has a full-time job working for the flooring people and he also pulls in close to full-time during off season for the haunt.  He doesn't mind.  It's what he loves to do.  I congratulated him on his luck in his ability to spend time doing what he loves.  "You really are blessed, you know."  He agreed.
I shared all this information last night with Adam.  His eyes began twinkling and he asked me, "So will you go again now?"  No, sorry.  But isn't it fascinating?


No comments:

Post a Comment