Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My stress scale

Lately I've been using a scale to measure my stress level.  I came up with this on my own, although I don't want to claim that this is a patented Sarah Boyette idea because I'm sure it's not unique.
www.garrisonphoto.org
Like the 10-point scale that doctors use to help understand your pain level, I've started using a 10-point scale for stress level.  A one on the scale is me on an island by myself with a book and a full-service waiter at my beck and call.  A ten on the scale is my tipping point, so stressed I can't see clearly and I start crying at illogical events.
During the school year, I find that I live on a five or a six.  It's not ideal, but I've got a lot going on, so during the months of August through May my life (two jobs, two kids, two dogs, two fish, a hamster, a house, and a husband) happily plateaus at a 5 or a 6.  During the summer, I'm at a 3 or a 4 because we're just not under the time crunch that we are during the school year.
This has been helpful for me to recognize my limits.  If it's a stressful week at work, I might be at a seven the entire week, and if three things are added to my list, I just end up crying.  So that means that I can easily say "no" to invitations to serve on a committee or other ideas that would not be necessarily beneficial to my health or family.
I'm always looking for metaphors to express and understand life, and this has been quite a useful one.  I share it with my readers as a way to communicate with others what you are feeling.  Recognizing where I am has helped me prioritize and focus on the happy more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment