Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Life Stories Told

Yesterday at lunch, Rev. Nancy and I had a short conversation with our cashier about her tattoos.  She had a beautiful array of rainbow tattoos covering her entire left arm.  Rainbow Brite was there with her horse, as well as She-Ra, Care Bears, and pictures of other children's toys from the 1980s.  She said that when she was a kid, the most exciting event for her and her siblings was when their mother took them to McDonald's.  Her arm represented happiness from her childhood and the joy she received when she got a toy out of her Happy Meal.  Her right arm was bare and she said that she was considering, since only girl toys were represented on her left arm, that she would fill her right arm with pictures of Happy Meal toys for boys.
In my new pursuit of story, I recognized that this tattooed lady was using her arms to tell the story of her life. Excited, I've been brainstorming other ways that people use to tell their life story.  Everyone has a story inside of them, and we all use different ways to express it.
Personally, I write in my journal and on this blog.  But there are so many other ways that stories are told.  My mother-in-law collects antiques and figurines.  She can tell you a story about each one.
My husband Adam's engineering story is told in the buildings he helps build.
Claire and Paul both can tell you their life story from their stuffed animal/doll collection.  Each toy has a story about how they love the person that gave it to them and the special circumstances in which they received it.
Jesus' life story is recorded in the Bible.  It would be interesting to note, though, how many people's life stories have been entwined in recording Jesus' story.  The oral story-tellers, the scribes, the archaeologists, modern day translators, all have spent countless years focusing on the importance of the Biblical stories.  I wonder if any of them have or had Bible tattoos.  "This was when I translated Exodus. Dude, what a battle that was. We had scrolls all over the place!"  (Because since I've never met a Bible translator, I can imagine that some of them are surfer guys)
For anyone needing help in recording their life story the more traditional way, the website Proust will help you do it.  Each week they email you a question/writing prompt and then you go log-on to record your answer.  Eventually your life story and/or the story of those you love will be recorded.  I also have a handy book called The Book of Myself that is full of question prompts to help you write your own autobiography.
When I'm at school today, I will be seeking out more ways to tell stories.  And no, you won't find me at the tattoo parlor tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment