Thursday, May 30, 2013

I lost my wallet

Today was such a perfect, perfect day.  I woke up extremely early (4:30 I think) and was able to mark several things off my to-do list before the sun was even up.  I took Paul over to his friend Declan's house and I just sat on the patio talking to my friend Alli.  I just sat and enjoyed the breeze and chatter and it was wonderful and perfect.  The boys played together and didn't have one fight.  They got along so well we decided to go to lunch at Chick-fil-A so we could eat and they could play more.
When I sat down in the booth at Chick-fil-A, I noticed the gap between the seat and the back cushion and thought to myself, "That hole is perfect to lose a wallet in.  I have to pay attention so I don't lose mine."
I lost it anyway.  Somehow my wallet fell out of my purse and I know it was exactly in that spot because I always check a table before I leave.
I took Paul to Aldi and went to the check-out and realized my problem.  Immediately, I grabbed Paul and took him back to Chick-fil-A.
It is funny to me that in situations when I am stressed more than I can express, the children seem to function normally.  On the drive over I'm praying, breathing deep, and calling Adam to cancel my cards.  Paul started asking me about the Revolutionary War and did any guys from Texas fight with George Washington and did any Texas guys die? And what about those red guys? I continued to take a deep breath and explain a bit about the redcoats and their loss of the war as well as how Texas wasn't always Texas....
At Chick-fil-A the employees were so nice and helped me search.  One lady even went through multiple trashcans searching for it.  I offered to help the lady sort through the trash, but she wouldn't let me.  I knew for a fact that I hadn't thrown the wallet away but held a dim hope that someone took my cash and threw the rest away.  Paul and I paced the parking lot and I ended up leaving my name and number in case they found the wallet later.
While Adam was on the phone cancelling my bank card, our neighbor kept calling him.  He finally clicked over and found out a policeman was at the house with my wallet.
When I left Chick-fil-A, high school lunch was just beginning.  Both South Hills High School and Southwest High School are within a mile from the restaurant.  Apparently someone picked up my wallet, took out the cash, and threw it to the ground.  Immediately afterward, two honest girls from South Hills High picked the wallet up and drove it back to school, where they returned it to the campus police officer.
The campus police officer thought about calling Bank of America, but changed his mind and just drove to our house.  Our neighbor was home and called Adam.
So today I am grateful for:

1. My friend Alli who let me just sit and talk.
2. The people who found my wallet and only stole the cash.
3. The high schoolers who turned the wallet into a police officer.
4. The employees at Aldi who held my purchases until I could come back with money.
5.  The employees at Chick-fil-A who dug through trash and worked hard looking for my wallet.
6.  The Fort Worth police officer who returned my wallet to me.
7.  The neighbor who called Adam.
8.  Adam, who took his lunch taking care of his wife's forgetfulness.
9.  Paul for refocusing me when I was stressed out.
10.  My friend Melody who called during this fiasco and said a prayer for my sanity or the recovery of my wallet, whichever could happen first.

The whole situation was my fault and could have been avoided with a little more attentiveness, but I am so thankful that in the midst of it all, my wallet was only missing cash and I don't have to try to recreate my identity through membership cards and credit cards and all the other important cards that live in my wallet.  I am blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment