Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Walking Thankful

This morning I got up on time, so I had a few extra minutes to go on a walk.  I leashed up Sugar Dot, threw a coat over my pjs and got walking.  No one else was around, so I had a chance to compile my thankful list for this morning.

Today I am thankful for:

1.  Snores
Everyone in the house except for me and Capt. Midnight Sugar Dot Express Boyette is asleep.  It was easy to slip out of the house undisturbed.

2.  Stars
Last night I was too distracted to notice them.  This morning I was able to recognize several glittering constellations.

3.  Safety
We live in a quiet neighborhood filled with retirees and young families.  I'm grateful I can walk around in the dark and not worry about being hurt.

4.  Sugar Dot
If anyone ever did try to cross my path, I am assured that Sugar Dot would bite the hell out of their ankles and anything else he can jump to reach.  Walking with a dog also takes the weirdness out.  Otherwise, people might wonder who the lunatic is walking through the neighborhood in her pajamas at 5:30 a.m.

5.  Ice crystals
As sparkly as the stars are in the sky, the grass glittered just as much.  A few minutes from now all the ice crystals in the dew will be melted, but I got to enjoy their twinkle at just the right moment.

6.  Crunchy leaves
The kids love to stomp in piles of leaves.  There is quite a satisfying crunch when you step on a stack of dead leaves.  Icy ones are even better because they pack a bigger crunch.

7.  A mummifying scarf
As I wrote before, Adam's godmother Kaa, made me several scarves for Christmas.  This morning I wrapped my entire upper body in a scarf and still had enough left to go again.  I wasn't cold at all.

8.  A warm jacket
We are so spoiled with coats at our house that I can pick one to go with my outfit and the exact temperature outside.  I am grateful.

9.  Quiet
I do my best thinking when there are no distractions.  Sugar Dot and I saw only three cars on our 20 minute walk.  The only sounds I could hear were from the highway, which is about 2 miles away.  Immediately around me it was perfectly quiet.

10.  Darkness
I hadn't brushed my hair or teeth yet and I was walking in my pajamas.  I was glad that it was dark outside and I didn't have to worry about what I looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment