Friday, November 18, 2011

Rattlesnakes!

In March every year in Sweetwater, TX, they have a Rattlesnake Roundup.  I don't really know where all the snakes come from, but they do a lot of slaughtering there. Claire has now been to the Rattlesnake Roundup twice.  Paul's been once.  It's become a daddy-kid destination.  Adam always comes home with interesting tales of watching snakes get killed.  One of my favorite visuals is the beautiful blonde in gorgeous jewelry and nice clothing who dons a white coat and starts hacking a rattlesnake to death.

I've never been and don't really have any desire to go.

The first time Adam and Claire went, he took a video of some slaughtering and we posted it on youtube.  Despite all the darling videos of our kids, the rattlesnake slaughter video is by far the most popular with the public.  Last night I noticed it has more than 7,000 views and more than 100 comments.

So today if you have one minute and want to be disturbed, watch this.  If you have five minutes, read the comments.  They are delightful.  Apparently some people are passionate about snakes.  "Kill them all!" or "Snakes are God's creatures, too!"



http://youtu.be/4JeTgJZC72U

This is my all-time favorite comment:
"How sadly ironic that you bring your little Church buddies to this disgusting event which goes against your Gods wishes to only kill animals for necessary sustinance. Might as well quit that Church, you're all going to Hell sweetcheeks."

I love how the word hell is followed by sweet cheeks.  Hilarious.  (And the mistakes were theirs, not mine.)

One of the comments suggested I check into the Facebook group, "Rise Against Rattlesnake Roundups".  I did and was able to join.  These people are very passionate about saving rattlesnakes.  I don't really understand it, but I find it entertaining.

I would like to share a picture from my new group.

The guy that got this tattoo really loves rattlesnakes, obviously.  He was asking for suggestions for further tattoos he could get.  Several users suggested other rattlesnake breeds and offered photos for him to take to the tattoo parlor.

Because Adam and I were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe, I decided to both post the photo on my FB page and e-mail it out to family.  I claimed it was Adam's new tattoos.  I haven't gotten one response which leads me to believe two things.  1.  Our family is pro-snake slaughtering and anti-snake rights.  2.  They believed me.

So to clear up any confusion, this is not Adam's back.  He would have to find a new wife to accompany this tattoo.  We are neither pro- nor anti- snake rights.  We are intrigued by the campaigns, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment