Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Body

Last week I read the book Women, Food, and God.  Basically this book teaches you to be more conscious of what you are eating.  This follows with my personal mantra of late which is, "Pay attention!"  I constantly am reminding myself to pay attention to where I am at that moment so I can appreciate it more.
I'm a thinker, so sometimes I feel like I just live in my brain and that my body is just a vehicle to haul my brain around.  Today my Bible study prompted me to be thankful for my body, so I thought I'd share a thankful list with you about this thing that is much more than a vehicle for my brain and heart.

Today I am thankful for:
1.  My big feet. 
I wear shoe size 10.  If my feet were any bigger, I'd be special ordering shoes.  However, at this size, they are just perfect for providing me with a firm foundation for standing, walking for miles, running barefoot, or whatever I ask them to do.

2.  Legs and knees that answer their call, whatever it is.
I don't have a regular exercise regime, but often I go for long walks, or short runs, or excursions to the park.  Whatever I have in store for my legs, they carry me there with ease.  I am grateful to not report any knee problems or other pain in my legs.

3.  Wide hips
My hips are just wide enough to allow two children to sit in my lap at once.  I'm big enough to be able to embrace both kids while I read them a book.  Sometimes we squeeze a small dog or two in, also.

4.  A stomach that doesn't complain
I am grateful for a stomach and digestive system that is happy with whole grain oatmeal and salads as well as hamburgers and enchiladas.  I'm not a picky eater and I am grateful that my stomach complies with whatever I put in it.

5.  A back that reminds me when I'm over-doing it.
I don't have back problems, but occasionally when I'm cleaning house like a madwoman or doing other manual labor, my back lets me know when I need to quit.  It's also strong enough to give  many piggy-back rides.

6.  A complete set of fingers on a complete set of hands
I have hands that don't hesitate to shake other hands in greeting, to pat friends on the back, to fold laundry, wash dishes, cook a meal, and hold the hands of my husband and children.

7.  Curly, low-maintenance hair
I believe God knew what he was doing when he made me.  My hair is curly and in a way it fixes itself.  I spend approximately one minute on arranging it every day.  I'm grateful that for the most part, that is enough.  It doesn't usually stick out or look bad.

8.  Clear, low-maintenance skin
I clean and moisturize my face, but that's about it.  Some days I wear makeup and some days I don't.  I'm so grateful that I can choose whether or not to add cosmetics to my face.  I look mostly the same regardless.

9.  Ears that work
I can hear two kids conspiring in whispers across a room and I can survive two kids shrieking with joy right next to my ear.  I am grateful for my ears.

10.  My nose
My nose appreciates that sometimes smelling food is just as satisfying as eating it. 

11.  Eyes that see
With the aid of glasses, I can lay on the trampoline and see details on leaves at the top of our cypress tree.  Claire and I did that yesterday, appreciating how tall, strong, and beautiful that tree is.

12.  My brain
I can think of approximately ten items at a time.  While I am writing this, I am also writing my grocery list, to-do list, and thinking how to get Claire to school on time.  There's a few other thoughts as well.

So today I am thankful for my human body.

No comments:

Post a Comment