Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thankful Twosday

Last week I didn't get to do this.  I handwrote 10 things I'm thankful for, but I just didn't get to it.

So here's a double dose.  Grab a cup of coffee and make yourself comfortable because the list is long this week.

This week I'm thankful for:

1.  Days off school
Yesterday Claire had the day off of school due to teacher inservice.  Adam took care of himself for lunch, and without lunch obligations or having to pick up a kid from school, we were footloose and fancy free.  We stayed at the zoo longer than we ever have.

2.  Quiet benches at the zoo.
One of the best parts of having a zoo membership is that we can go any time we want for however long we want and we don't feel the pressure of needing to see the entire zoo to justify our appearance.  Yesterday the kids wanted to watch the giraffes, so watch them we did.  We sat on a bench in front of the giraffes while crowds came and went.  We snuggled and just enjoyed observing the animals.

3.  Happy Meal toys
Also yesterday for a special treat, I let the kids get Burger King at the zoo.  We have never eaten at that location before, so the kids were so excited to get the Burger King version of a Happy Meal and sit in front of an aquarium and eat.  The meal included a ring toss, a crown, and a zhu zhu pet.  Several zoo visitors had to step around us, but the kids had a blast scooting their new toys on the floor.

4.  Warm cookies
Today in staff meeting at church, we were served fresh, warm cookies by Sue.  They were delicious!

5.  Medicine that prevents dr. visits
Yesterday Paul was developing a cough, so I made sure to get to CVS and get him some Mucinex.  This afternoon I think he's coughed twice, both times for dramatic effect.  I love it when we can stop sickness right when it starts.

6.  Knowledge of bathroom locations
Several times this past week Paul, who is three, had to go to the restroom immediately.  If we know where we're running, we always make it in time.  Having to ask directions to the restroom usually ends in disaster.

7.  Another Aha! book
Apparently I'm on a roll with reading good books.  This evening I will wrap up my reading of Women, Food, and God.  Much of the book resonated with me and I read it with a highlighter close by.  My next read is "I is an Other", at the recommendation of Rev. Jason Valendy.  I'll let you know how that goes.

8.  Fashion Freedom
Today Paul wore his rainboots.  He wore one fireman rainboot on one foot and a larger, blue rainboot on the other foot.  He paired those with camouflage pants and a striped shirt.  Claire has to wear a school uniform but personalizes it every day with fancy socks and hairbows.  This morning she walked to school with a hand made crown on her head.  I love that my kids feel they can express themselves through the clothes they wear.

9.  Snow hats
Last week when we had a cold snap, Claire wore her snow hat to school.  It was then that I realized not only was her hat too small, it was the same one she'd been wearing since she was six months old.  She was a big baby and I bought her a big hat for that first snow.  Five years later, she's finally grown out of it.  I love all the memories attached to that snow hat, and look forward to the memories she'll make in her new Minnie Mouse hat.  We purchased her a new hat at Target with a pom pom on each side for Minnie Mouse ears.  It is one of the cutest sites I have ever seen.  She's been wearing shorts, flip-flops and her snow hat everywhere since we bought it.

10.  Kids that bathe dogs
The kids bathed both dogs today.  They love it and do a good job.  All I did was turn on the water.  Now I have two sweet smelling dogs and two entertained kids.

11.  My new wireless mouse
I just got a new mouse for my laptop and it is beautiful.  It moves with such fluidity and perfection that I am in awe.

12.  Trunk or Treat
Each year our church has an event where the family gets dressed up, decorates our trunk and passes out Halloween candy.  It's always a blast.

13.  Theme Halloween costumes
The kids were fish and we were fishermen.  It was pretty cute, even if the designer says so herself.

14.  Generosity of candy
The day after Halloween, the kids decided they wanted to share their candy with Adam.  I told them also that the church collected it to pass out during Christmas.  They filled two gallon bags with candy they wanted to give away and left little for themselves.  I wanted to shout "Hallelujah!" for several reasons, including less hyperness.

15.  Patient, instructive zookeepers
Last week when it was just Paul and me at the zoo, we went to the fish petting tank.  The zookeeper asked Paul if he wanted to pet a giant snail.  He said no.  She calmly encouraged him to pet "just his shell" and "just his side" and before Paul knew it, he was petting the slimy part.  It was a good experience for him and I could tell the zookeeper knew what she was doing.

16.  Mandatory naps
Last Tuesday everything was looking kind of glum for a number of reasons.  After Claire got home from school, I ordered mandatory naps for everyone.  We all felt better and happier after an hour of rest.

17.  Gracious web support
I just revamped our church website.  It's not completely done and it's not perfect, but I did it!  I was quite proud of myself, but I must give props to my web support guy, Scott, who answered my emails quickly and helpfully, even if they were titled, "Auuuugggghhh!"

18.  Catching up with good friends
In the last two weeks I've had some opportunity to put the brakes on the schedule so I can catch up with some of my best friends.  I cherish the times when I can have meaningful, adult conversations with friends.

19.  Backup
My cousin Jeff and I have been sharing the duties of helping care for my grandfather, who is currently in a rehab center.  Jeff does more than I, and I am grateful that we work as a team to make sure my granddad gets the best care possible in the place he's at.

20.  Trees that think it's spring
A few doors down from us a family moved out with haste.  They didn't water their yard for a long time, so their tree was on death's door for a while.  With the rain lately, the tree is now in full bloom.  It's beautiful.

21.  Blankets
When it's cold outside, we have plenty of blankets to cuddle up under.  We have so many that we can actually chose which blankets best fit our decor and the weather outside.  We are spoiled and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment