Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Thankful Tuesday

Since I've been back to my thankfulness routine, I have noticed a shift that has occured. I am now more intentional about being thankful.  Here's my list this week:

1. Intentionality
Several times during the past seven days I've paused and said to myself, "This. This is what I am thankful for." It's different because instead of appreciating life in passing, I am stopping and recognizing it.

2. Birds in trees
Every morning I walk the kids to school.  It's only a block, and it's an important one. On the way there, they debrief me on the social dramas as well as academic news. On the way back, I walk alone and take deep breaths, enjoying the space, silence, and birds singing to me. Yesterday I heard a particularly beautiful song, looked up, and saw a bird at the very top branch of a tall tree. Had I been driving, I wouldn't have heard or seen that bird. I love our morning walks.

3. Harry Potter
On Saturday night, the entire family donned black robes to be characters in the Harry Potter stories.  We went to the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History and enjoyed several themed activities before watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in the Omni Theater. I've been a long-time fan of the books and am loving sharing them with the children. Every time we finish a book, we watch the movie. This weekend's film was the one we were due to see this week, so it worked out perfectly.

4. Cub Scouts
Few scenes are cuter than Paul in his new Cub Scouts uniform, wearing it with pride and repeating all his important Cub Scout mottos. I'm so glad that Adam can experience this with him, because my schedule and plate are full.

5. Money for writing
Yesterday I recieved my first royalty check from a small book I wrote last year. $15.40 means that 22 people purchased my writing. It's not a lot of money, but it's exclusively for something I created. I'm humbled. So often my writing skills are used in other avenues, to communicate for the church, to update friends or family on life, to remind myself of how lucky I am. But apart from all those needs, I created something on my own that people purchased. Amazing.

6. Back massages
Last night I received a fabulous back massage from Paul.  It was a "Weeble-wobble-bouncyball-whoopee-cushion" massage. Only an exclusive group of people receive this specialized massage, and I was honored.

7. Places to pitch in and serve
I have a variety of settings in which I am able to help in a tangible way, even with my tight schedule. I'm even able to volunteer in one of Claire's classes multiple times a week.  I just go in with my friend and we tear workbook pages out again and again. It's both a small task and a huge task (75 copies of each workbook).  

8. First Grade Reading
Paul is now reading aloud to me daily. I love hearing how his intonation is developing as he begins reading real stories fluently. The expression in his voice makes me laugh.

9. Hot water
Several years ago, for my Mother's Day present, Adam installed an instant hot water tap. I use it every single day.  

10. Pinterest
For an additonal Sunday School craft, and for group games and lessons on Wednesday night, I turn to Pinterest. I love finding new, creative, and exciting ideas there and bringing them to life. Tomorrow night we'll be playing Angry Birds at church, thanks to Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment