Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Thankful Tuesday

I've been doing this off and on for several years now and I like it because it's an activity that holds me accountable to pay attention and appreciate my blessings, but also it makes me create something every week, whether I'm in the "writing" mood or not.

Here's my list today:

1. Squirrel noise
Did you know squirrels make noise? I had heard the noise online while researching answers to children's questions, but never noticed in person.  Today when I was walking home from the children's school, I stopped to look at the bird making noise only to discover it was a squirrel. That animal was extremely talkative, jumping from branch to branch and shouting noises that sounded like "rabble rabble rabble rabble."  If I hadn't taken time to stop or if I had driven my car to school today, I would have missed a squirrel talking to me!

2. An orthodontist that doesn't cause anxiety
Claire got her top braces on yesterday. Though I knew they would hurt a bit, she walked into the office and sat in the patient chair without hesitation or worry. I know we picked the best orthodontist for her, because she certainly doesn't act that way at the regular dentist office! She's still a bit uncomfortable, so I'll have to wait to get a photo of a good smile.

3. Halloween plans
I'm in charge of organizing Trunk or Treat this year, and it's both scary and exciting! I'm getting in the Halloween spirit early!  By the way, if any of you live in Weatherford and want to run a hayride, talk to me!

4. Claritin D
I'm finally getting rid of my allergies/cold/whatever you want to call it.  The clouds are clearing and it's thanks to a combination of Mucinex, Claritin D, and Vitamin C.

5. Homework I enjoy
I haven't had a hard time keeping up with my classwork this year because I actually enjoy it. Reading the book Studying Christian Spirituality is actually fascinating. Reading about the way architecture, history, and God images shape our spirit and theology is something I would enjoy, even if it wasn't part of classwork.

6. Ordination work
Besides working, studying, and parenting, I've also been slowly moving toward ordination. This week will mark another big check on the list. I'm thankful I've been able to keep up with the requirements so I don't get stalled out in the process. I'm also grateful to my friends for consistently explaining a confusing process.

7. Political surveys
So far this week, I've answered two telephone surveys about political issues. Somehow our home number got on the rotation and I've been asked to share my opinion. The surveyors say that they take my comments and share them with policy-makers. That's pretty awesome that I get to vote and to say my piece.

8. Bookstores
Going to the bookstore is a family event around here. We all get lost among the stacks, looking for books that interest us. My earliest memories are of reading books, and I am so proud that Adam and I have shared a love of reading with our children. A fun Friday night for us includes dinner out and then a stop at Half Price Books.

9. Different views
While many of the people that I see in person regularly share many of my political and religious views, I am glad for Facebook and for my friends that don't see the world the same way I do. They challenge me to review my beliefs on different issues, and sometimes, change my mind.

10. Alone time
Adam is taking the kids camping this weekend. That means I'll be on my own for more than 24 hours! I'm making lists of all the trouble I can get into!
No, this picture doesn't have anything to do with this post. I always like to include a picture, though, and how often do you get a picture of a cute boy in a giant bird nest?

No comments:

Post a Comment