Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Thankful Tuesday

We're swimming along merrily right now! Here's my thankful list for today:

1. A reason for thanks
In one of my classes at seminary I have to come up with some "rules of life" to help me maintain a healthy spirit. I selected my Thankful Tuesdays as an activity that helps me keep on track.  So for this semester at least, I have to do this every week, without fail, for a grade.

2. Claire's independence
Last weekend Claire was away for her first overnight experience. She went to Glen Lake camp with hundreds of third and fourth graders to learn about the Bible, have adventures, and celebrate independence.  She had a blast!

3. Having one child for the weekend
With Claire gone, Paul was king of the castle. He relished in the attention and we also had a lot of fun

4. Fascinating zoo exhibits
We took Paul to the Dallas Zoo where they have a cheetah named Winspear, who is being raised with a Labrador Retreiver named Amani. The cheetah came to our side of the fence and snarled and put his teeth on the fence but was docile with the Lab and his handlers.  We also saw koalas and an anteater for the first time in our lives. All three of us walked around the zoo in a state of excitement and wonder.

5. Teachers that hold me accountable as a parent
Paul's teacher has known us since Claire was in kindergarten.  Last week she told me that Paul had missed two on his spelling test and she knew he could do better. Yesterday she asked me to up his reading aloud. I love that she recognizes his ability, knows what needs to be done to help him reach his potential, and asks me to help him do it. I have been reading the kids Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, so I hadn't been having Paul read to me every single day.  I will now so he can stay on track. I am grateful that his teacher and I have the kind of relationship where she can be honest with me about his strengths and weaknesses and how he can do better.

6. I still love seminary.

7. TV time with Adam
About twice a week I get to sit on the couch and watch some television with Adam.  I love watching with him because no matter the show, we always have a running commentary that adds to what plays out on the screen. He makes me laugh.

8. Having a place for my ideas
I'm always finding new ideas for games/crafts/activities for the kids. Sometimes, though, I feel frustrated that some of the ideas are only used on two children.  Now that I'm interim children's minister, I've pulled out the list and we're checking it off.  Throwing cheetos to a person with shaving cream on their head is much more fun with 13 than it is with two.

9. Hugs
I'm a hugger and recieved several good hugs this last week.  In fact, one person hugged me twice.  His name ends with a 2, so by Adam and my count, it was actually four hugs and not just two.

10. Inside tents
Paul slept in a tent last night.  In his room.  It was adorable.  The night before that, Claire did it.  Also adorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment