Monday, July 22, 2013

Emergency Retreat

Parenting is challenging all the time, but it seems particularly hard during the summer when there are 24 hours to fill instead of just the time before and after school. We stay busy with creative activities and for the most part I am engaged and happy to have the privilege of being primary caregiver at our home, but sometimes I need a break.
A problem of mine is I that I go along my merry way without stopping until I am at the precipice of insanity before I realize that I need some time away.  That realization came to me Saturday as I found myself jealous of Adam spending 30 minutes by himself at the pool store.  Besides a few moments working alone in my office, I hadn't had a moment to myself since a workout on vacation several weeks ago.  My internal clock is off and I haven't been able to get up at my usual 5, so my time is all kids all the time.
I told Adam I had to get out of the house and left.  I found a public place to sit and I sat and breathed for a long time.  Just sat and breathed.  Then I drove aimlessly, picked a random nail salon and ordered a pedicure.  It was fabulous, and my toes look prettier than they have all summer.  Two hours later, I returned home refreshed and renewed.
I'm not proud that it takes me so long to realize that I need a break, that I am not Super Woman with unlimited powers to cook, clean, and take care of kids.  I'm not proud that I had to lose my temper over something petty before I stopped to take care of myself.  But I feel like I have made some progress in that I did stop and reset.  Once I returned home I was calm, collected, and able to make dinner, supervise baths, and read bedtime stories with joy.
I know I am not the only one with this problem.  In fact, yesterday at church, I shared my experiences with a friend who had a similar one on Saturday.  
We all need a break, so I'm going to attempt to take more of them.


I saw this bird on my mini-retreat.  Her feathers look threadbare and she looked exhausted.  She reminded me of me.  (Now please don't ruin my photo and tell me it's really a male bird, because I like to believe it's a mama bird, just like me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment