Sunday, July 1, 2012

Thankful things

What a week!  This was Vacation Bible School week at church and it wiped us all out!

Today I am thankful for:
1. Authentic Middle Eastern wear
Long ago and far away, my sister served in the Army in Iraq.  She brought Adam and I back several headscarves.  With his bathrobe and headscarf, Adam was sporting the Bible look at VBS this week.  I wore mine the first day but you can't take as good of pictures when you've got headgear.

2.  Fun for the whole family
Adam tolerated 100+ degree heat every night this week to lead nearly 100 kids in games outdoors.  He was awesome.  We brought our niece Morgan to VBS and she had a blast helping all the smaller kids.  Claire and Paul each enjoyed being on their "tribe" and learning all the cool songs and motions.  We had competitive "Our God is an Awesome God" singalong in the car.  I had a great time laughing and taking 500+ pictures of the activities.  (You can see them here.)

3.  A day at home
Yesterday we had "nothing" to do.  That meant we were able to stay home the entire day.  It was luxurious!  I got up, brewed coffee, read my Bible study, and walked the dog before anyone else was functional.  The house looks less like a bomb shelter today and Adam was able to get the yard and outdoors looking nice.

4.  Side of the road finds
We found Claire a solid wood desk that a neighbor was throwing out.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, so it went straight into her room after a good cleaning.  Today on the way home from church we picked up a cool cabinet for the garage, also being thrown out.  I love it when people put good stuff on their curb!

5.  Adam's ability to fix anything
For the record, I love my husband very much.  A couple of months ago, I mentioned that I would like a clothesline outside.  I had one the next day.  For my birthday, he installed four can lights in the backroom, and even wired a new lightswitch!  Yesterday I mentioned that I wanted a new door handle for a closet and guess what's on that door today?  That's right.  A door handle.  Paul shattered a ceramic doll at my grandfather's house, but no fear; Adam was able to fix it.  He is awesome.

6.  A home for my grandfather
My granddad is now at home at his assisted living facility.  He is thriving there, asking for new clothes and shoes.  When we visited him on Friday, he had to leave for a few minutes to go to a PARTY!  I have never, in my entire life, heard of my grandfather doing anything social.

7.  VACATION!
We're going to Galveston later this week.  The kids will get to see a beach for the first time.

8.  Saving at Six Flags
This winter, Adam announced he wanted to go to Six Flags this summer.  I was trying to do the math and figured we'd have to spend about $250 before we walked in the door.  Luckily, I had forgotten that Claire participated in a reading program where she earned a ticket.  Her teacher loved us so much that she gave us her teacher ticket, so we were able to go to Six Flags for Adam's birthday for half price. 

9.  Good books to read
I'm never at a loss for a good book to read and I am grateful.  This past week one of my friends stopped by the church office to bring me a sack of paperbacks she was done with.  I am grateful that I live in a country where literature is so easy to come by and not regulated.

10.  Spirited kids
Some parents have children that are calm and quiet. My children can be calm and quiet, but they are full of spirit and enthusiasm.  When Claire and Paul were singing at the front of the church today, they were really rocking out with their voices and hand motions.  Right this minute, Claire is yelling, "Boo-yah!" to me.  Paul is doing the wave while he eats his snack.  They have a zest for life that rivals my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment