Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Today I'm thankful for...

Today I'm thankful for...

1. Vacation
Last weekend we went to Galveston.  The kids enjoyed seeing and tasting saltwater for the first time and building sandcastles in the surf. 

2.  Discounts on vacation
We were able to stay at a nice hotel on Seawall Boulevard for 1/3 the normal price because we have a friend that works there.

3.  Being home
This was our first vacation that was mostly kid-driven, and that was a big change.  No daily naps, hours reading, or just sitting.  The kids kept the same hours as the adults and although we all had fun, by the last day, I was itching to be at home. 

4.  A husband who can
Adam missed church on Sunday because he was single-handedly building a porch at his parents house. Yesterday I mentioned to him that I would love to have a Little Free Library and he told me he could do it; just print off the plans.  I am grateful that he is able and willing to do projects like these.

5.  Hilarious kids
Yesterday the kids kept asking to play in the cat pool.  I had no idea what they were talking about at first, but later realized it was the kiddie/kitty pool they were referring to.  Last night Paul wrapped his torso in a sheet of Styrofoam and tried to get in bed.  I told him he couldn't sleep with it on and he said, "But it's my shell!"

6.  Just rain
Last night I took the kids to the downtown library for Bedtime Storytime.  They enjoyed venturing out in their pajamas and we finished the night with fruit smoothies from Jamba Juice.  Unfortunately it started pouring down rain before we were done.  I had no idea it was about to rain, so we didn't have an umbrella with us and had to walk three blocks to the car completely unprotected.  We were drenched.  I was grateful for all the rain for the plants, but also hugely grateful there wasn't any hail.  I had a hard time convincing Paul that we were going to get soaked no matter what, and if it was hailing, I would have been at a loss.

7.  Hot chocolate in July
The kids were much happier when I told them they could sit in front of the space heater and I'd make them hot chocolate when we got home.  Glad I had some.

8.  Good coffee
After several days of hotel coffee, I was ecstatic to brew my own cup once we were home.  Also, yesterday I got to enjoy a cup of French press coffee courtesy of our new associate minister.  (He ended up brewing some for the entire office.)  It was so good that I didn't even add cream or sugar.

9.  Help when we're away
The Carlton family kept Wesley Eugene so we wouldn't have to take two dogs on vacation. Our neighbors took out the trash and watered my garden.  We were so grateful for all of these actions.

10.  Free childcare
The Hemminger and Perry families help me all the time with the kids.  I couldn't keep my job (or sanity) without them.  I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment