Thursday, July 26, 2012

Downtown Fort Worth, Boyette-style

When I was a kid, for a very special event, my mom would take my sister and I downtown to ride the Tandy subway and look at all the ice skaters.  I fell in love with the concept of "downtown," and watching all the business people in their suits crossing the streets at the crosswalks.  Since then, downtown Fort Worth has held a special allure to me.
Now that I've grown, my feelings about the ladies in their business suits has changed.  I can't imagine walking around in high heels all day.  Occasionally I'll wear them to church, but only because I do a lot of sitting on Sunday morning and am relatively sure I won't fall in the little time I'm walking.  Working in a skyscraper still sounds exciting, but cubicle life doesn't.
I've passed the love of the mystery and magic of downtown onto the kids.  The best part about it is how they see the world completely differently and together we have magical adventures that I would never have by myself.

Today I thought I'd share a list of sites to visit and memories-in-the-making, Boyette-style.
1.  I'm going to go ahead and get the gross one out of the way.  Two years ago, when Paul was in the midst of potty-training, we ventured out with him in underwear for the first time.  I was smart enough to pack a few changes of clothes in case he had an accident, but I didn't foresee what really happened.  We were standing on a sky bridge that connects two buildings, looking down below at how things look smaller from a distance when Paul said he needed to go potty.  I was about to scoop him up and take him but then I realized he was sopping wet.  He was standing over an air vent.  Luckily there was no one else around, so I changed my son's clothes right there.  All of downtown Fort Worth could see his cute little buns.  I figured every step he took would be messy, so it was best to control the mess.  Now every time we pass that bridge, the kids remind me of that day.

2.  Central Library
Oddly, every time we go to the downtown library, the children's section is sparsely populated.  Maybe we go on off-hours, but it never seems busy there.  (I know the adult sections are packed.) This week we revisited a favorite: Bearly Bedtime Stories.  Each Tuesday at 7 p.m. the librarian encourages kids to come in pajamas and hug on a bear while she reads stories.  Pretty awesome.

3.  Jamba Juice
Around our house, it is not uncommon to hear someone shout, "Razzmatazz!"  It doesn't really mean anything; just an expression of excitement/ playful aggression.  At Jamba Juice, the menu features a fruit smoothie called "Razzmatazz," which the kids love for the taste as well as the name.  If I have a coupon, I buy them their own smoothie.  If I don't, I buy a large smoothie and the Jamba Juice folks put it in two cups.  (Pssst....you get more smoothie that way and the kids are less hyper than they would be consuming a whole smoothie.)

4.  Sid Richardson Art Museum
We went there twice so far this summer and I am pleased to say that the docents really love kids.  We went during kid-friendly events, but each employee engaged the children in conversation about art on their level.  They have puzzles that match the paintings on the wall.  Admission is free and this is an art museum that actually wants you to bring kids.

5.  Spider Web
In Burnett Plaza, there is a giant rope-climby-thing that looks just like a spider web.  The kids love for me to pack our lunches so we can go to the Spider Web and eat under the shade and then they climb the ropes.

6.  Molly the Trolley
The city has a bus/trolley system just for downtown, and it's free.  Molly will drive around most of downtown.  The kids love waiting at the stop and getting on Molly.  They enjoy public transportation, and the drivers are always friendly.

7.  Barnes and Noble
With their summer reading program, the kids each got a free book.  We like Barnes and Noble downtown for that as well as an exciting escalator and a public bathroom.

8.  Hidden tunnels
While having lunch in Burnett Plaza recently, Paul needed to use the restroom.  It was during business hours, so I decided to pretend like we knew what we were doing and go in the office building to find a restroom.  We did eventually find one, but not before we found an escalator that lead to underground tunnels that go from one office building under the street to the next.  We had fun exploring underground.


9.  Police Cat Fluffy
Two days ago we discovered the Fort Worth Police Department's secret weapon:  a cat.  We were walking around exploring after a trip to the B&N restroom and came across the building of the First Methodist Church, possibly the oldest brick building in Tarrant County.  We looked at the building, noting it was now a police station.  It was nearly 9 p.m. by this point, so we were about to cross the street and head back to the car when Paul spotted a cat.  He asked to pet it.  I said, "You can if he'll let you.  He might be a wild cat."  Not at all.  It appears that this cat lives at the police station.  He's clean, de-clawed, and very friendly.  We don't know his real name, but Claire named him Police Cat Fluffy.  The kids know about K9 units, so they were trying to figure out what Fluffy does for the police.  Adam and I are allergic to cats and we have two dogs, so unfortunately for them, the kids will never have a pet cat.  They had never been around one so sweet.  Claire carried Fluffy around, petting the cat and cooing to it.  When the cat hopped out of her arms, Paul picked him up again for her.  I thought this might be a one time thing, but the kids begged to go see him again yesterday and sure enough, Police Cat Fluffy was still there.  He was right in front of the police station door, so the kids picked him up and walked around with him.  I was a little apprehensive about appearing to steal a cat from the police, but no one said anything to us.  The police just waved.

10.  History of Fort Worth Exhibit
This is a small exhibit housed in the first fire station.  It's just one room, but it's free and it's interesting.  We went on Tuesday and the kids were a little apprehensive because we were the only ones there.

No comments:

Post a Comment