Friday, June 6, 2014

End of the School Year Blitz

It's almost the last day of school in Fort Worth and we were honored to have both children attend Bruce Shulkey Elementary this year. We love our school for its diversity as well as the staff's love and respect for each child. The kids both have learned and grown this year and we are proud.
Claire's head is in the middle of this photo...
Yesterday was the talent show and Claire participated in a group singing of "Let It Go" from the movie Frozen. The song is full of emotion and anger but each child sang it with a light step and a smile on their face; it was pretty cute.  I saw one girl with a costume on and asked Claire why she hadn't told me she needed a costume. "Mama, a costume is a want, not a need," she said. "That's why I didn't ask." She chose a cute dress instead and received many compliments. I was surprised and humbled at her wisdom because she was absolutely right.
Paul didn't get to participate in this year's talent show, but we're already brainstorming for next year.

This week was also the awards ceremony. Each child received so many awards I can't even count. Academic acheivement in all areas.  We were proud of them, but didn't make a big deal out of it. Our children are so smart and we love them so much, but we know their abilities and I expect them to achieve academically, so we don't buy balloons or flowers.  We just hollered at them, hugged them, and told them good job. I also feel that congratulatory items are a slippery slope. If I buy balloons this year, I would feel like that wouldn't be enough next year and would have to buy bigger and bigger gifts until I had to stop at purchasing their first home before they were 18.


We recently had fun at Field Day. Paul woke up with a fever and sore throat that day, so I immediately took him to the doctor, knowing that a child in his class had strep. Luckily the doctor checked him out, tested him, and gave him the all clear. She gave us permission to take him to school tardy with the stipulation that he not kiss anyone. I don't know who was more excited when we arrived, Adam or Paul.

The girls beat the boys at tug of war in Claire's class.

Obviously Paul felt fine.

This is Paul with his "girlfriend" Emily. He informed me last week that she told him they broke up and now she is going out with Luis. "How did that make you feel?" I asked. "Great!" he said. "I told her I'm too young for a girlfriend anyway."


It's been a good year and we are grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment