Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thankful Twednesday

Yesterday was a full day from the time I got up at 5 until my head hit the pillow at 10:30.  I absolutely didn't have time to type this up, but that doesn't mean I wasn't thankful!  I almost wrote this on Monday, and actually restrained myself to wait.

Here's my thankful list today:

1.  Rain
There was actually wetness from the sky more than once in the last week. 

2.  Flowers that say "Thank you."
The morning after the rain, I was pushing Paul in the swing and I noticed several flowers in our yard that weren't there the previous day.  We have blooms on several plants in the yard, one of which I didn't even realized bloomed.  Also, an indoor plant bloomed for the first time ever that day.  It was as if all the flowers reached up to the sky to offer their gratitude.

3. The ability to turn a bad day into a good one.
Last Wednesday I sitting in the recliner at 5 a.m., drinking my coffee, praying and journaling.  Paul woke up and wanted to snuggle, so he snored on my lap as I continued.  Then he had an accident in his sleep.  Normally that would make me grouchy and set off a chain of events for the whole day.  This time, I decided to bite my tongue and carry on.  By intentionally not being grouchy, I was able to have a great day.

4.  A tongue that is slower than my brain.
My Bible study assignment last week was to find five different ways to pray.  One day I attempted to pray aloud.  Something I discovered during this exercise is that my brain works twice as fast as my tongue.  I am grateful for this because I hadn't realized I did have that much time to filter my words.  I'd hate to listen to myself if I actually voiced every thought. 

5.  A truck that keeps on going.
Adam's Toyota Tacoma crossed over the 200,000 mile mark this week and he is still proudly driving it with no problems.  We have taken that truck to Key West, Niagara Falls, the U.S./Mexico border and seemingly everywhere in between. 

6.  Being at the right place at the right time.
Sunday morning, I was in a bit of a rush.  I was going to drive my friend Ann-Marie to Dallas to go to her daughter's baby shower.  We were trying to leave church, but we just couldn't get out.  Every time I thought we could leave, I was approached by another friend that needed a hug or wanted to talk.  I finally got free and went to the bathroom only to run into another friend who just received bad news and was crying.  Had I been 30 seconds earlier or 30 seconds later, I would have been unable to give her the hug she needed at that moment.  I was at the right place at the right time.

7.  Parades
When I was driving Ann-Marie back to Fort Worth, we stopped for coffee.  We were getting frustrated because we were having a hard time finding coffee in downtown Dallas.  We waited in line at Whataburger, only to get to the window and hear that even though we ordered it, they couldn't give us any coffee.  However, as we were leaving Whataburger, we ran into a Gay Pride parade.  It was fantastic and totally worth the Whataburger disappointment.

8.  Freedom for flexibility
Yesterday when Claire came home from school, she wanted to play with Paul.  Every day I document her school story, but yesterday she wanted to put on a birthday party for her baby doll instead of writing.  I was happy to oblige and happy that my kids get along so well and that we have the freedom to be flexible.  I've got freedom of flexibility, too...I'm writing my Tuesday entry on Wednesday.

9.  Cooler temperatures and open windows
The weather has been so beautiful this week that I've driven everywhere with the windows down.  This results in a giant frizz ball head, but I don't mind.  Adam has also been opening our windows at night and I've been enjoying the nighttime sounds of the neighborhood.

10.  Productive play dates
On Monday, my friend Mary Annelle asked me if Paul wanted to come to her house to play.  I dropped him off at 9:52 and was able to do all my shopping at Costco and Wal-Mart and be back at her house at 11.  It was amazing how fast I can shop when there is no one underfoot.  I was so productive that I wanted to return the favor.  I brought her son over here and was able to do my laundry and work around the house while he and Paul played happily.  The boys had fun and the moms got our work done.  I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment