Friday, June 24, 2011

Seeing a miracle

I saw a miracle yesterday and it lead to all sorts of theological thoughts and debates.
I was driving to church to take the kids to VBS.  We were about to turn onto Hulen street when I noticed there was a giant tanker truck in the middle of the road, stopped.  The truck looked fine, and I know there is not any road construction at that intersection, so I started paying attention to what was going on.  Then I noticed there was a Grand Prix underneath the tanker truck.  There was a car completely under the wheel well of this giant truck.  We all hear about tragic wrecks like this which usually end in death. 
But as I was looking at the car the miracle happened.  The driver's side door opened and the driver got out of her car and walked safely to the side of the road unharmed.
My mouth hung open and the kids were shouting, "What's going on?"  The Grand Prix was obviously undrivable and the roof had been partly crushed down.  But the lady walked out of the wreck unscathed.  It was a miracle.
So while the kids, in particular Claire, was saying, "Thank God she was okay," I thought about God's role in that drama.
I do believe that the lady should thank God that she is alive.  I'm sure she was.  However, I don't actually believe she is alive because she might have prayed in the accident or was favored by God.  I don't think it works like that.
I believe God has infinite power that he doesn't always use.  I don't believe that he looked at the lady and said, "Oh she's a Jesus lover.  She should live."  I also don't believe that in the same situation God would think, "Oh, she's a hellion.  Death upon her."
I believe that God stays out of the details but comes in with love at every turn.
My thoughts led to a theological discussion with one of my ministers, who told me he is mulling over the phrase "self-limiting."  God has infinite power but values human freedom so much that he chooses to self-limit.  Jesus is the ultimate example of God self-limiting.  The divine came down in human form, self-limiting himself (or herself or itself).
So if God created humans to fellowship with him, it's not really fair if he keeps swooping down to fix the bad stuff.  Instead, I believe he provides healing and love in all situations.  I believe that every time you feel love, you are experiencing God.
I do believe in miracles, and I also believe that in the grand scheme of things, my little brain will never be able to understand all of God's power.  However, humans are always asking why bad things happen to good people and this is one answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment