Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Going Green with Grandparents

It's now hip to bring your own bags to the grocery store, to recycle, and to repurpose items.  "Going Green" is much in style.  This is not a new concept, however.  I believe that throughout human history, people have been "going green."  I know both sets of my grandparents did as they grew up during the Great Depression.
My maternal grandma has always been a saver and reuser.  She fills up her ketchup bottles with packets from restaurants.  She collects napkins and cuts them in half when she has company for dinner.  She freezes everything, including candy bars and bread.  I have witnessed her more than once dig through her kitchen trash to rescue a piece of plasticware that a careless family member threw away.
My paternal grandfather is also a person who has always been "green."  Recently at his house I saw him spraying nose spray on his eyeglasses.  I asked him about that and he informed me that when he ran out of nosespray he refilled the bottle with windex to clean his eyeglasses.
He doesn't cut napkins in half, but he uses them meal after meal until I sneak and throw them away.  He buys his mops at the dollar store, but still removes the mop heads and washes them rather than buy a new mop.
Everything is repurposed at my granddad's house.  An Ensure can doubles as a spittoon.  An empty juice bottle is refilled with water in case of emergency water cut off.  My deceased grandmother's glasses fit his face just fine.  Expired milk is drank up to a week later.  Frozen dinner trays are washed and kept like fine china.  Clothes are mended again and again rather than buying new ones.  He's always working on a handyman project around the house like using a hairdryer to melt PVC to mold it so it fits on the shelves in the bathroom.
I must say that both sets of my grandparents have rubbed off on me.  At our home, we sometimes have two 60 gallon bins full of recycling.  We repurpose unique packaging for crafts.  If bananas turn brown, I freeze them for muffins.  I have my own chest freezer full of oddities like bread and chocolate chips.  Rather than throw out leftovers, I freeze them before they go bad.
While I must admit I have giggled at my grandparents' ways more than once, it seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  The apple doesn't fall far from the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. "The apple doesn't fall far from the freezer." Very nice Sarah.
    dnix

    ReplyDelete