Friday, May 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Claire!

Claire is four years old today. Four years ago today, I was a college-educated, career-driven wife. Now I'm a stay-at-home mom with no regrets.
Toward the end of my pregnancy with Claire, the doctor only allowed me to work half-days. She was born the day after school let out.
Claire was a fat and happy baby. I remember being so proud of her fat and thanking God that my baby was sturdy because I am a klutz and was terrified I would hurt her. We all called her Baby Claire, but when she turned two, she informed us all that she wasn't a baby anymore. She became a big sister then.
Now she goes by Claire Bear and is the smartest four year old I know. I taught her to write her name on greeting cards. I taught her to count to 30 when I applied temporary tattoos on her. I've been teaching her to read with little readers I printed off the Internet.
When we're driving down the road, Claire enjoys identifying cars and can tell you many makes and models of vehicles as well as who drives them. She'll point one out on the road and say, "There's a Volvo SUV just like Alli drives! or There's a Honda CR-V just like Maya and Ella have!" I often have to teach myself the names of cars so I can keep up with her.
She went to daycare until she was two, and then I quit work to take care of her and Paul. Daycare taught her how to count to 10 and it nearly made me cry because I wanted to be the one to teach her all her exciting first concepts. Now, right after she wakes up every morning, she eats breakfast and I sit next to her while she completes lessons for the day. If she doesn't feel like it I don't make her, but she wants to do it more often than I do. She loves learning and is a sponge.
She likes to tell people that she doesn't go to school but she goes to Sunday School. At church recently she announced that she was 3 11/12 years old.
She makes me laugh, she makes me think, and she makes me proud. Happy fourth birthday, Claire Bear!

4 comments:

  1. AWE!! She's getting so big. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Lila and I missed the party. I hope she had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool she knows our car! She's going to grow up to be a gearhead...heehee :) We miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete