Thursday, May 13, 2010

ALDI

I am a bargain-hunting junkie. I don't necessarily love grocery-shopping, but I love finding great deals and getting the most for my money.
My mother-in-law and I talk often about prices at Wal-Mart (where she shops) and everywhere else (where I shop.) I have finally admitted that Wal-Mart does have cheaper shelf prices, but there are so many drawbacks to shopping there that it's not worth it for me.
My bottom line is price. I want good quality, but don't have to have the best, and since I cook all our meals, I can always add extra spice, or oil or whatever to fix a dish up that is otherwise lacking.
When we heard Aldi was opening up in Fort Worth, we were both excited. I went there five or six times and left furious before I finally got with the program. One time I was was livid because I had just spent five minutes getting all my list, bags, and children together, only to walk up to the door and find out they were closed. The door greeter, who had been watching me the entire time, didn't have the courtesy to tell me before I got up there.
So here's some tips to actually enjoy your Aldi experience:

1. Bring a quarter to get a cart, whether you need a cart or not. One time I only had five items to buy, but since they don't have conveyor belts, the cashier put my five items in a basket and then wouldn't let me sack them before he started putting the next customer's purchases on top of mine. He also wouldn't let me push the cart to the sacking counter. Just FYI, the cashiers sit on a chair the entire time and will not get up for anything, even to help you.

2. Only go to buy basics like dairy or bread. Their merchandise rotates. Their chips are cheap and decent and they do have some staple products, but everything is their brand, so if you're picky about brand names, don't go. Also don't go with a big list because you'll be disappointed.

3. Bring your own bags. They charge 10 cents for paper and six cents for plastic.

4. Aldi does not accept coupons. All their merchandise is store-brand, so they couldn't even if you tried.

5. Aldi only accepts cash or debit cards.

6. Aldi closes at 8 p.m.

7. The benefits of shopping there are price (a gallon of milk is less than $2) and the speed of shopping. You can get your essentials and be in and out of there in 5 minutes.

Since I've learned how to do it, I like Aldi. They can't be my main grocery store, but they are my main emergency store stop.

2 comments:

  1. What, they don't sack your groceries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am old fashioned, but I want someone to sack my dang groceries! Even Albertsons and Kroger have quit sacking. Grocery stores act like they do us huge favor by letting us in the door. It infuriates me. The Albertson's CEO made 76 million dollars in the last 4 years while I sacked and often checked out my own groceries. I refuse to shop at Aldi because I don't want to add yet another grocery store to my hate list.

    In case you didn't realize it, you hit one of my hot buttons, Sarah! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete