Friday, January 15, 2010

A Child's Pain

Two days ago we were driving to church. I was thinking about the eight tasks I had to complete there and about the bookclub discussion I was about to lead. My to-do list scrolled through my mind when I glanced back at Claire. She looked sad.
All of the sudden, the entire world fell away and the only job I had to do was whatever it took to make her happy.
It turned out that she wasn't sad, only tired. I had forgotten she didn't take her nap that day. Her expression and my response triggered a new line of thinking.
As Jesus' crucifixtion drew closer, he and his Father both knew it. It must have been excruciating for both of them. Obviously Jesus wasn't exactly looking forward to dying on the cross and his Father must have been worrying and trying to figure out another way. When a child is sad or injured, the emotions are magnified in the parent.
I think about what I was prepared to do for Claire because she might have been sad. And then I think about God and what he had the power to do with his Son. They both chose the hard way and 2010 years ago, people are still being blessed because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment