Tuesday, January 6, 2009

RSV

Due to our flurry of activity and apparent exposure to germs, Paul is sick with RSV. Apparently that is a Latin abbreviation for a respiratory illness. Also apparently it is quite serious.

Both kids have been sick since last week when we got back from Louisiana. Claire has made a near complete recovery but Paul is still fighting it. I took both of them to an urgent care clinic on Friday and called the doctor several times over the course of the weekend and on Monday. I felt good because they kept confirming that I was doing everything correctly. (Isn't that sad that I got a boost of self-esteem from taking care of my sick kids?)

Yesterday Paul started wheezing. I had talked to the nurse several times and we came to a consensus that I would keep up the good work and he would be fine. I called back when he took a turn for the worse. They told me to come by in the afternoon, but if he started turning blue, call them back. I informed her that if my baby started turning blue, I was calling 9-11.

So Paul does have RSV; it's been confirmed by two doctors. I have to give him breathing treatments every four hours around the clock. (I joked with Adam that he could take the 4 a.m. shift, but he didn't think it was funny. It's okay; waking up is not Adam's thing.)

And we're stuck at home. Besides two trips to the doctor, we haven't left the house since Thursday. You'd think I'd have cabin fever, but I love it. I'm playing with Claire's new toys, cleaning house a little, and cuddling Paul. So I'd like to say RSV is a real stress vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment