Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Slowing down the holiday hamster wheel

The Christmas season is often a blur to me. The period of time between Thanksgiving and New Years flies by seemingly before I can blink.
This year has been different.
This is what the truck looked like when it was half-way packed.
For Thanksgiving, instead of our traditional drive to East Texas to spend time with family, we went camping. We drove to Glen Rose State Park to see the dinosaur tracks. Adam's godparents brought their RV and we brought our tent and just about everything but the kitchen sink.  We packed long johns, extra socks, hats, coats, and gloves.  We said we were prepared for the cold.  I was not prepared for the cold. The first night the temperature got down below freezing and I was wearing everything I had in my sleeping bag under blankets in the tent and still cursing because I was so cold. The kids were sleeping peacefully. Claire was snoring soundly in her sleeping bag and Paul was enjoying sleeping in my part of the bed. (He was cold.)  I was absolutely miserable and considered leaving in the middle of the night. I didn't.
The next two nights we left our space heater on in the tent, so we were actually warm-ish. During the days we went hiking, sat by the fire, and enjoyed being away from everything.  Overall, it was enjoyable, and funny memories were made.
Two weeks later, we had the beginning of Icepocalypse. It seemed that the weathermen were being overly dramatic at first, but since it's been a full week since it began and we're still sliding on the ice, I guess there was some truth to their predictions.
Solid ice outside means that we've stayed inside.  We were home-bound for four days. This actually wasn't a bad thing.  I was able to take a breath, read a book, clean up clutter, and get Christmas cards ordered. I've been baking banana bread to cover my tuition at seminary this semester and got at least 30 loaves baked. The kids had uninterrupted play for days on end. Luckily, as cabin fever was starting to set in, the ice started clearing away.
Jumping on an ice trampoline.
The ice has humbled me. I have been forced to walk slowly and steadily. I have been forced to use what I have at home instead of running out to the store. For the most part, we kept the TV off and the kids played with toys they hadn't seen in months. During Christmas when I'm just running around with my to-do lists, it was nice to be forced to sit still.  I spent an entire day mostly sitting by the fire crocheting, reading, and getting up to bake or help a kid.  It was wonderful.
I've been listening to our hamster, Snouts Brownie, running in his hamster wheel. He doesn't do it all day, every day. Sometimes he gets off the wheel and explores his world. Both the ice and Snouts have been good reminders for me that sometimes it's okay to step off the hamster wheel of busy-ness and just be.


No comments:

Post a Comment