Monday, September 23, 2013

I am an avocado

I am an avocado and my life is an avocado slicer.
Depending on the day or season, my skin is either thick or thin.  I'm either bruised or healthy green on the inside.
By nature, I am a giver.  With two jobs and commitments all across North Texas, I often feel like a sliced avocado.

A slice of me volunteers at the kids' school.  A slice of me goes to church to work.  A slice of me goes to church to worship. A slice of me takes care of my grandfather. A slice of me serves on committees at church and at school.  A slice of me socializes. A slice of me tutors children at a different elementary school. A slice of me leads a Bible study. Another slice cooks, cleans, and folds laundry.

I have other slices that go to different places, but my pit remains intact.  My core and my faith are always there, no matter how many slices of myself I hand out.  The trick is to teach myself to transfer the pulp from the other half of the avocado to support my core.  I have to learn to refill myself after handing out all the slices.  Otherwise, I just become a bowl of guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment