Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dog poop, humility, and loving your neighbor

We have some fabulous neighbors and it's easy to love them.  One of our neighbors bakes a cherry pie for Adam each year and brings the kids birthday presents.  One neighbor leaves clippings and extra bulbs for planting on her curb to share with others.  Several neighbors are excellent at driveway chats.  Two kids down the street love to play with Claire and Paul while I talk with their mother.  Yesterday morning, our neighbor across the street who uses a cane and walks only half a block at a time, came all the way over here to deliver a cute watch he had found for Claire.
And then we have the "loose dog house" neighbors.  The neighbors that no matter how many times you tell them politely or rudely in person, no matter how many times animal control is called, no matter what, their dogs always seem to get loose and come poop in our yard.  This isn't new and it's something we've struggled with since we moved to the neighborhood, eight years ago.  I realize that when our biggest complaint of the entire neighborhood is that a dog occasionally comes and poops in our yard that we have it better than most, but it's still annoying.
Tuesday night I was packing and moving furniture and toys for the 1,000th time since March and I was hot and grouchy.  The dogs started going crazy barking and the kids realized we had a "loose dog" pooping in our yard.  I ran out and started yelling at the dog, chasing it back home and popping my apron at him.  Once I chased the dog to his home, one of the owners came out and apologized profusely.  She even offered to come clean up the poop.  I shrugged, took a deep breath and headed home, muttering all the way.  I even complained to another neighbor, "We've had eight years of this!"
I got back to moving stuff, making dinner, and supervising showers when the doorbell rang.  The loose dog house neighbor was at the door with a pooper scooper!
"I'm sorry to bother you," she said.  "But I can't find where the dog pooped.  Can you show me?"
I went outside and found it for her.  She apologized several times while picking up her dog's poop.  My anger diffused, I told her she had humbled me.
Events like this happen often to me.  Just as soon as I, judge of all people, decide that I don't/won't like someone, that they are not redeemable in my eyes, they do something that changes everything.  Just at the moment I have made my mind to hate, grace comes streaming in.
Even when I stamp my foot, love wins.  Every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment