Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Seasons of Thanksgiving

Since November started, I have been posting one item on Facebook a day that I'm thankful for.  This in turn has lead me to be more thankful.  I already practice gratitude  but now I find myself being even more thankful for every single tiny thing in life.  I try not to take anything for granted.

Today I am thankful for:

1.  Central heating and air
Fall weather has arrived, and with it, warm afternoons and cool nights.  We are so fortunate here to be able to change the weather inside our house with a flip of a switch.  Air conditioner off, heater on.  Oh, it's a warmer day.  Heater off, AC on.

2.  Multiple pairs of comfortable pajamas
Some people only have the clothes they wear on their backs.  I have an assortment to choose from for day or night.

3.  Variety in grocery shopping
I did all my shopping on Sunday.  First Trader Joes, for items available only there.  Then Costco for my bulk items, then Aldi for generic groceries, then Wal-Mart for price matched groceries.  Do you know some people have to do all their shopping in one place?  Not me.  I travel the city to get the best deals by ounce.

4.  Alarm clocks
When I'm distracted (ahem) and haven't gone in to wake up the chillens and Adam, their alarm clocks start the job for me.

5.  Stuff
The clutter around the house is both a blessing and an albatross.  We've got stuff.  But, we've got stuff!  We've got multiple blankets on each bed, books in every corner, newspapers, food, toys galore.  We've got stuff!

6.  My laptop
Today I'll be doing some work from home (after my other job).  Tomorrow I'll be doing work at church.  Do I need to transfer files or change gears?  No!  I take my laptop and work with me!  It's nice to have a portable computer and a portable job.

7.  Opportunities to serve
Some people have hidden talents that are waiting to be used.  Not me.  I am blessed with knowing what I am good at and being able to find places to use it.  Nearly every where I go I am able to help others.  It's nice to be able to help in multiple situations.  I've even found places for my leftovers!  I've discovered that some people at church will eat anything I cook!  

8.  A break
This weekend Adam took the kids camping and I was left by myself.  It was a glorious time.  I went shopping.  I read an entire book.  I watched a movie.  I crocheted.  But by the end, I was ready for them to come home.

9.  Election excitement
The kids both voted at their schools, and when it was election night, Adam turned on the TV to watch the vote tallies coming in.  Both Claire and Paul were asking all sorts of questions about who was winning and what those colors meant.  It was educational and fun!

10.  Security
I do not live my life in fear.  I don't worry about bombs destroying my house or my children being injured at school.  Terrorism is a far-off word and world for me.  For all those who make this country, state, city, and neighborhood safe for my family, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment