Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thankful things

Today I am thankful for:

1.  Not one but two jobs I look forward to going to!
In this economy, when many are unemployed and looking for any job they can get, I am so extremely blessed to have two jobs that I love.  Doing church work doesn't feel like work to me, and reading with groups of five kids is a blast.  The students don't even get disappointed that they miss recess to be with me.

2.  Clouds
This morning, a wise sage named Paul Boyette said to me, "I want to take a break with you."  He wanted to sit on the curb in front of a neighbor's house and watch clouds.  We did, for nearly 10 minutes.  It was barely 8 a.m., so the sun was still making its way up the horizon and we were able to watch several types of clouds dart in and out of the sunlight in changing directions.

3. Sharing love with neighbors
We've got our Little Free Library up and running.  I was so very, very, very excited about this project that I was setting myself up for a little disappointment.  (You mean that all the neighbors won't stop what they are doing right now to come get a book from us?) However, we've had several customers and it's a good thing.  Another neighborly thing we're doing is "boo-ing" people.  You pack a pumpkin or bag with treats and secretly deliver it to your neighbor.  Along with the treats is a sign for them to hang up on their door as well as more signs for them to share with other neighbors.  By Halloween, our entire street should be "booed."  It's a great activity for the kids, although they are terrible at being sneaky. 

4.  Time at home
Since I've picked up my second job, it seems as if we are rushing more than ever.  Tonight we don't have football practice, PTA meetings, or any other obligations, so the kids and I will be enjoying time at home together.  We might just bake cookies.

5.  Seeing the world through a child's eyes
Claire came home this week and very seriously asked me if double-dipping chips was against the law.  A friend told her that a retired policeman told her that.  After I stopped laughing, I explained that we don't have laws like that.

6.  Administration that listens
Adam and I had an issue at Claire's school this week, so we went to the office to discuss it in person.  Within five minutes of walking through the door we were listened to and the problem resolved.  We are grateful.

7.  The end of football
Paul hates football.  He likes his teammates and coaches, and Adam and I can tell this is an excellent program.  He just doesn't like being that rough.  So this week is homecoming, and the season is drawing to a close.  I'm so grateful, because this rushing to practice twice a week is killing us!

8.  A place for our things
I cleaned out the coat closet and the next week we had a church coat drive for the homeless.  We cleaned out Claire's closet and found a friend who could wear her clothes immediately.  It makes me feel so happy to give our things to help others.  So good that it makes me want to clean out the house.

9.  A home for our leftovers
I love cooking and do it daily.  Unfortunately, when I think a meal is fabulous, my family doesn't always concur.  I discovered that I could bring my leftovers to the church and serve it to the staff and they would appreciate it.  I even got a thank you note for my beans!  I would much rather share my leftovers than to put them in the giant deep freeze for who knows how long.

10.  Halloween excitement
With boo-ing our neighbors, promoting the church's trunk or treat event, and getting our costumes ready, the entire Boyette family is getting excited about Halloween.  Yesterday Adam ironed his work clothes while wearing his Spiderman costume.  It was both awesome and really disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment