Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Bracelet: A lesson in humility

Before my paternal grandmother died, she gave me a gold bracelet.  It's a family heirloom and has been worn at our family's weddings for about 100 years.  She told me it was mine to keep, with one exception.  When my sister got married, I was to let her wear it to the ceremony.
My grandmother passed away at about the same time the rift between my parents and me was growing. Six years later, my sister is about to get married.
I am not invited.
Of course I remembered the bracelet, but I also remember my grandmother, and her no-nonsense ways.  If she were still alive, I believe many of my family dynamics would be different.  I'm not sure what she would say about the bracelet.  I'm sure she assumed I would be invited to my only sibling's wedding.
So though I know about the wedding from the invitations sent to my grandfather's home, I wasn't going to offer the bracelet.
My granddad remembered it anyway.
When the initial realization hit me that my family would not be invited to my sister's wedding, I had to take several days to mentally re-frame the situation and realize that this isn't about me.  I am not the central person in this problem.  Maybe our exclusion is more about my parents' and sister's problems than mine.
Feeling confident in my healthy perspective, I was dealt another lesson in humility when my grandfather called me to ask about the bracelet.  He didn't realize it was in my possession, and asked me to bring it to his house so we could talk about it and he could send it to my sister.
I made him promise I would get it back.
Because I loved my grandmother and I love my grandfather today, I brought the bracelet to his house. Again I reminded myself that I was doing this for them, and it wasn't about me.
My grandfather and I sat in his office talking and he got out all the materials he would need to mail the bracelet.  He handed them to me and asked me to take it to the post office.
My grandfather wasn't being insensitive.  He's 87 and is trying to drive as little as possible.  Taking a package to the post office is overwhelming for him.  Priority mail?  What's that?  Once again, I reminded myself that this wasn't about me, that having me take this to the post office kept him and his Cadillac off the streets and maybe even saved lives.
A few friends advised me not to mail it; the bracelet is too valuable they said, or they reminded me that I might never see it again.  It's not about the bracelet, I said.  It's about relationship.  Sure, I love that bracelet and I hope I do get it back.  But an action in honor of my deceased grandmother, in honor of the relationship I used to have with my sister, is more important than any bracelet.
So I did it.  I humbly mailed the bracelet to my sister, for the sake of my grandparents.  I did it to show that a relationship is more important than the possible loss of jewelry.  I did it to show my sister that through it all, I do love her and wish her the best for her wedding and marriage.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Sarah. I know that must have been so hard to do but you are right, it is about the relationships. Who knows what your humble action might spark...We all know that the right choices are most often the hardest choices. Your sharing your story makes all of us readers stop to think about our own actions and choices. Look at that spark lighting the way already :)

    ReplyDelete