Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thankful Twednesday

Hello from the beautiful city of Fort Worth, where we are enjoying a beautiful sunny day after a beautiful rainy night and morning.  Yesterday I was just too tired to type, so today I'm doing my tardy thankful list.

Today I am thankful for:
1.  Days off
From 4:30 a.m. yesterday to 10 p.m. when I collapsed, I was going non-stop.  I love days like that because they are so productive, but I really love days like today that consisted of little productivity and some rest and calm.

2.  The excitement of superheroes
Yesterday Paul was handed down a Batman costume.  He's been wearing it pretty much the entire time he's had it.  This morning I asked him to get Sugar Dot so we could put the dog in his kennel.  Paul chased him out from under the bed and announced, while wearing his Batman costume, that he was a good superhero.  Yes, he is.

3.  The sound of rain
Few sounds are more beautiful that rain falling softly on your window as you sleep.  We've been blessed with several rainstorms this week and after the drought, we are grateful.

4.  Help around the house
Last Thursday, Adam's godparents parked their huge RV in our driveway and dug in to help out.  The official reason was to visit us, but it was apparent after a few days of scrubbing, that the unofficial reason was to help me in the never ending battle with housework.

5.  Finding treasure at the thrift store
I'm working on the kids' Halloween costumes, so we went to my old favorite thrift store, McCart Thrift.  I hadn't been there since Claire was a baby and I forgot what great merchandise they had.  I scored a solid leather Liz Claiborne purse, brand new, for $9.  I also got three new blouses, all under $5/each, all designer names.  Paul got some rain boots (Yes, another pair) and Claire got some peace sign flip flops. (Yes, her second pair of those.)

6.  Not having to shop at the thrift store
As much as I love shopping at the thrift store, I am so grateful that we are not forced to shop there.  We have a variety of places we can afford to shop at; I just love a great bargain.

7.  Kids' gifts in the mail
Adam's mom sent a giant package last week to the kids.  Inside were many treasures for the kids.  They were elated.

8.  Pride at the flea market
On Saturday, we went to the flea market at the Will Rogers Coliseum.  I bought Claire and I each a coin purse and paid a little too much for them, but when I thought about it, I'm glad I did.  I was able to engage the crafter in conversation about her handiwork and how proud she was of it.  Listening to someone take pride in their work is worth a few bucks.

9.  New games
This afternoon Paul engaged me in a game of "tennis."  This involved using tennis rackets as golf clubs in the garage.  He was excited I was doing well, and I was excited that there was no winner in the game.  We were just playing for fun with no mention of who was "winning."  I love that my kids enjoy the process and don't worry so much about the winner.

10.  Peace
Today Paul and I went to see my grandfather.  I mopped his house and completed a few other tasks he had for me.  Paul slept.  He fell asleep in the car on the way over and slept for the entire time we were there.  My grandfather and I just sat silently together for a long time.  He shared some recollections of my grandmother and what he was thinking about other family members.  I listened and enjoyed the silence.  Paul enjoyed not having anyone disturb his nap in his Batman costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment