Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thankful Tuesday...under the wire!

Today's been quite a busy day.  I started early; right at 5 a.m., followed by getting the troops up in time for our "back to school drill."  We get ready as if it's a school day and walk to the school to see the playground and then back home.  I also worked today, took the kids to the Kimbell Art Museum, went to Wal-Mart, and made a home-cooked meal.  I'm worn out, but couldn't go to bed without letting my readers know what I'm thankful for this week.

1.  Rain
Last Friday the sky darkened and everyone rejoiced.  I had told the kids that since it's been so long since we've seen rain, we would go dance in it the first chance we got.  The kids grabbed their umbrellas and we waited, ready to dance.  And we waited some more.  A few drops came down, but not enough to be conducive to a rain celebration dance.  The next morning the rain was coming steadier, so I took the kids with their galoshes and umbrellas on a walk.  We're all thankful for the brief respite from the heat, which also allowed for a glorious day at the zoo.

2.  Rainy days at the zoo
If you ask me, a zoo regular, when the best time to go, I will tell you to never go on a Wednesday.  (Yes, it's half price day, but there's double the crowd.)  I'll also tell you to head to the zoo whenever precipitation is falling from the sky.  Not only does rain clear the crowds out, the animals are more active and mischeivious.  It makes for a better experience all around.

3.  Two vehicles with working air-conditioners
It has been so hot; today my car said it was 109.  I am so grateful that not just one, but both of our cars have great air conditioners.  Daily, I am also grateful that Adam and I bought a new air conditioner for our home last summer.

4.  Trivial Trivia
The kids eat off of educational placemats.  We've got an international map, where yesterday we pointed out Libya and discussed war there.  We've also got a map of the United States, where we showed Paul that Rick Perry lives in the same state as us.  Today we were working on the presidential placemat.  I was doing well teaching Claire and Paul the names of the presidents, but Adam gave us all sorts of entertaining points to help remember them with.  Apparently Zachary Taylor died of gastroenteritis, which means he was going to the restroom a lot just before his death.  The kids thought that was funny.

5.  Flashing school zone lights
There's a new school zone on Hulen Street, and I am thankful every time I drive through it, because I wouldn't notice it if it weren't for the flashing lights.  I love that not only do we have school zones, we have lights that flash at you and say, "Hey you!  It's a school zone!  Slow down!"

6.  Trashmen
This morning we walked to Claire's school and were captivated by the trashman.  Apparently the teachers have been throwing out shelves as well as acres of paper, and the dumpster was weighed down.  It took several minutes for the trashman to configure the prongs on his truck to lift up the heavy dumpster.  After he dumped it, he had to get out of his truck and climb up a ladder on his windshield so he could get to the top to make sure it all cleared the opening.  We were excited to watch the prongs on the truck lift the 1,000+ pound dumpster as well as the guy climb up his windshield on a ladder.  So often I take it for granted that after I push it to the curb, the trash doesn't disappear on its own.  I'm thankful for our sanitation engineers.

7.  Church Staff Meetings
Once a week I get to participate in a productive, thoughtful meeting full of intelligent and caring people.  I'm the communications coordinator at our church, so I go to staff meetings, and I just get so excited about the adult conversation.  This is the one time during the week in which one of my conversations has nothing to do with chores or child-rearing and I actually feel like a productive member of society and not just a mom.

8.  Roads paved with bricks
Our church, Arlington Heights United Methodist, is located on Camp Bowie Boulevard in Fort Worth.  Camp Bowie is one of the few roads in the area that is still paved with bricks.  After the Depression, under the direction of President Roosevelt, Camp Bowie Boulevard, and other streets like it across the United States, were paved with bricks, giving local people jobs.  I'm thankful that that thread of the past is still something that I drive on regularly.

9.  Lydia the Literary Ladybug
On Sunday, Claire caught a ladybug in our pool.  It is still alive, living in a Mason jar in the kitchen.  The kids take that jar on errands with us.  Just today Lydia went to Ann-Marie's house, Wal-Mart, and the Kimbell Art Museum.  She's a well-travelled ladybug and I am grateful that she is still alive, for the moment.  The kids are so proud of Lydia the Literary Ladybug.

10.  Dancing in the kitchen
We have a large, long kitchen.  Several times last week when I was cooking dinner, the kids and I cranked up the music and just danced to our hearts' content.  During moments like that, I want to freeze time and savor it.  Dancing carefree to Madonna is an event to be savored.

11.  Free stuff
Today I was given a new Bible and a calendar for free.  The Common English Bible is barely in print, it's so new, and I now have a copy.  I also have an official Methodist Calendar for 2012.  So yes, while I usally stop at 10, I got free stuff today, so I had to add it.  I am excited and grateful.  Excuse me while I go read my brand new Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment