Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thankful Tuesday

Hello!  Here's another edition of Thankful Tuesday.

Today I am thankful for:

1.  The pause button on the remote
I just taught Claire how to use that yesterday.  I love fast-forwarding through commercials and pausing action to go run to the kitchen or the bathroom.

2.  Balloon animals
Friday was our big grocery day.  When we walked into Wal-Mart, we noticed a man crafting balloon animals.  Then we noticed our friend Caitlyn, the cashier from Aldi.  She generously told the kids to pick out what they wanted and she would pay for it.  A few minutes later we were walking away with a dinosaur and turtle.  Then we went to get our free cookie stickers (they were out) but a gentleman on a bench gave the kids pocket change so they could put it in the MDA donation bin.  We were doubly grateful.

3.  Politeness at Chuck E. Cheese
We took Claire and Paul to Chuck E. Cheese the other night where we met the most polite kids I have ever seen.  The daughter was running around like a crazy loon, enjoying all the place has to offer.  Her dad stopped her and said, "Are you having fun?"  "Yes, sir!" she replied with glee.  I was amazed.  When I asked him about it, he said, "Ain't no other way."  I had been a little lax on enforcing it at our house, but I was convinced.  We're yes sir and yes ma'am 100 percent of the time now.

4.  Laughter
Today I am thankful for having the opportunity to make my children laugh so hard they can't breathe.  That is true joy, and whether it comes from tickling or acting silly, I am grateful.

5.  My parents
Yes, I said it.  I disagree with them on 99.999999999% of things in this world, but my mom gave birth to me and with my father, raised me with love.  I am grateful.

6.  Conversation with homeless ladies
Weekly, we are grateful to have the opportunity to visit with the homeless ladies that come to spend Thursday nights at our church.  Talking to them puts my problems in perspective.  It always makes me chuckle, too, to learn how much we have in common.  Last week I was telling one how great the Wal-Mart optometrist is and that he actually was the best eye doctor Adam had ever seen.  We were comparing prices on eye exams and hair conditioner.  There's no pretension with these ladies.  The kids and I both look forward to seeing them.

7.  The love of reading
I LOVE to read.  Yes, I know that all caps means I'm yelling, but it's true.  I read voraciously from a wide range of subjects.  Right now I am reading simultaneously Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Death of a Celebrity.  I read my Bible every morning.  In the last two years, Adam has caught the reading bug and I'm happy to say that both kids love reading.  Claire is beginning to read on her own and I'm so proud of her.

8. Generous kids
Nearly every store is collecting money at the register now for their selected charity.  We're on a budget, so I don't even think about it and just say no thanks.  On Monday we were at Tom Thumb and Claire saw a poster of kids with Muscular Dystrophy.  She asked about it and I explained that the kids had a muscle disease and the grocery store was collecting money for their doctor's bills.  "Oh," she said.  "I wish I had some money and I'd give it to them. Even if it was a dollar."  Of course you know I looked in my wallet and pulled out a dollar bill.

9. A sense of wonder
The kids and I often take detours to explore new construction or other exciting sites on our way to a destination.  I am grateful that they do have strong sense of wonder and that they mostly absorb what I teach them.  I'm pouring information in them non-stop and I'm so grateful that most of it sticks.

10.  My locket
Before she died, my grandmother gave me a locket that my grandfather had given her on Valentine's Day in 1947.  In this gold heart, they are forever preserved in their youth.  I wear it often and treasure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment