Thursday, September 9, 2010

Getting Along at Church

When I was a kid, my behavior at church was the best it was all week. My sister and I might have been fighting in the car en route to church, but we knew once we walked through the doors, we better straighten up. My mom would pinch the underside of our closest arm to get us in line should we waver.
As an adult, Adam and I pride ourselves on attending a church where people act the same in church as they do outside of it. There's not a metamorphosis that happens at the church door like I had growing up. We can go to church on Sunday morning and then later go out to lunch and order a beer. If we run into one of our ministers at the restaurant, we don't have to disguise the beer.
We love our church and all the people in it. Obviously, we are closer to some than others, but we don't have anyone we actively avoid. We are friends with the entire congregation.
That's why it's so confusing to us when others don't share our view. I'm involved in several groups at the church: a prayer group, Sunday school, ladies organizations, book clubs and committees. The last few years, several of these have suffered rifts. There was the prayer group rift over who was serving at a special worship service. There was the Sunday school rift over liberal vs. conservative theology. Last Sunday, there was a rift about the homosexuality issue.
Adam and I believe that everyone has their mind made up about certain issues. I will never debate hot button issues with my friends. I don't discuss homosexuality, the death penalty, or abortion with others. No good ever seems to come out of those conversations.
I do discuss love. I believe we are supposed to love everyone, regardless of their beliefs and doctrines. If you are Muslim, I feel free to call you friend. If you are homosexual, you are my buddy, too.
I believe love fixes everything. If I remember that I love you, I'm less likely to get upset when we disagree. Little comments or issues don't matter. Love does.
So to you, friend I agree with, I offer you love. And to you, friend I disagree with, I also offer you love.

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome an inspiring post. Sending love right back your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have those problems in Companions class...too mature...lol
    Actually the reason is at our age it's hard to remember what we think!!
    Just kidding. :)
    I agree with you ..just agree to disagree and then hug!!
    Life is too short to get all upset when one isn't going to change any ones belief.
    Love that about the UMC..whatever I believe I'm still a part of the 'family"
    Good on ya,Sarah .
    See ya at church...yep- at my resting spot.
    Sally Chaney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog, Sarah, and good comments, Sally...It IS about loving and caring for one another. Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you. So glad you posted this. Save the drama for your mama. We are all here to learn and to grow. No one has all the answers, even if we think we do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete