Tuesday, August 24, 2010

God in the Gaps

This morning I got up at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m. I used that time to be godly.
I haven't been up that early in a while and didn't realize the moon shines so bright at that time of the morning. The sun was not even thinking about rising yet.
Our neighborhood features a street that runs parallel to Granbury Road but is also completely separate from it. You can walk down this street and feel like you are in the midst of traffic but stay perfectly safe and protected by curbs and medians on a deserted street.
Usually when I walk the traffic on Granbury is steady, but this morning it was sporadic. Several seconds of fast cars clumped together was followed by several seconds of silence. The silence was beautiful, calm, and peaceful, and immediately trampled by traffic.
I was thinking about Psalm 46:10, the verse that says "Be still and know that I am God." I have a hard time living out that verse, because as soon as I sit still to focus on God, my thoughts and lap are trampled by children. My life is like the traffic this morning on Granbury Road.
But having your peace trampled isn't always avoidable. In fact, it's usually not. However, that doesn't mean that the stillness that you experienced for those few seconds or minutes didn't exist. So today I am focusing on noticing God in the gaps of traffic. In between bombardment of requests and needs, I will be still and know. Then when I'm in the midst of the traffic, I can hold onto the calmness that once was.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, that was really beautiful. I feel like I have so much to learn from you. I really need to learn to see the beauty in everyday things.

    ReplyDelete