Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'm a shellfish!

I was reading a story to Claire about the different types of fish in the ocean and found I related to the shellfish. The book said a shellfish has a hard outside to protect its soft, beautiful, fragile inside. A shellfish keeps its shell open but shuts immediately if it senses danger.
The book Shellfish Aren't Fish by Alan Fowler is me in a nutshell.
No, I don't live in the bottom of the ocean, but I have many similarities with the shellfish. Clams and oysters have ugly outsides, but beautiful pearl on the inside of their shell. While some people might be impressed with my outside, I believe all my best attributes are inside.
Rather than focusing on hair and makeup, I always focus on relationships and helping people out. I, too, keep my mind and spirit open, but close myself off when I sense ugliness.
The shellfish opens itself back up when danger passes it, but unfortunately, I am not that brave. Once I close up, it takes time and effort to open back up.
"Every mollusk makes its own shell. So in a way, a mollusk's home--its shell-- is a part of the animal."
Isn't that true about humans? I believe we, too, make our own shells that become part of our self.
"Sometimes a grain of sand gets inside a bivalve's shell. When it rubs against the animal's soft body, the bivalve coats it with a smooth material called mother-of-pearl."
So when something small gets inside the oyster and irritates it, the oyster turns it into something beautiful. That is something I would like to do.

2 comments:

  1. This is nice, Sarah. I haven't known you long, but you seem beautiful inside and out to me! Unfortunately for myself, when something gets inside me and irritates my insides, it does NOT turn into a pearl. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait, two little muchkins...something inside that irritates and then turns into something beautiful...hmmmmm.

    yes, to inside rather than outside...it is a crying shame when people see that sometimes first impressions make their overall feeling of that person. For me, I am shy but if people spend some time with me, they can see the inside. It isn't about what you wear or live, but rather what you believe in and how you make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete