Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kid Leash



I am typing this with one eye peeking out from my hands which cover my face in shame. I put Claire on a leash today.

And I now apologize to my friend who gave me the leash (She didn't know I cringed when I received it.) and every mother I've ever laughed at for putting her child on a leash. Please accept my humblest of apologies.


Our niece, Morgan, is staying with us for her spring break. She's eight and a good helper/Claire distracter. We took her to the zoo today, which sounded like a good idea until we realized 10,000 other people had the same idea.


Paul was strapped to my chest in the Baby Bjorn and Claire rode in the wagon/held hands. Morgan rotated between pulling the wagon and riding in it. All was well until Claire started getting tired and fussy. She didn't want to hold hands, she didn't want to ride, she really wanted lunch and a nap, but wasn't getting the nap yet. In desperation, I got out the kid leash.


It's not horrible looking. It's actually quite friendly-looking. It's shaped like a monkey backpack, with the tail as the restraining mechanism for your unruly child.


So I was tired, tired of carrying a giant baby on my chest, tired of the crowd and heat, and tired of fighting with Claire. I hooked her on the leash, swallowing all my pride and yours, too.


I scanned the crowd, searching people's faces for the response I know I give others who use kid leashes. No one seemed to notice or care. Except Claire. She loved it! "This is my monkey leash!" she said proudly. Morgan held her leash and was able to show her several exhibits I couldn't get to with the wagon and Buddha baby on my belly.


So I apologize. The leash saved my child and my sanity today. I didn't have to spank her or fight with her or search the zoo for her. She was happy, and actually cried when we took it off. If you want to put your kid on a leash, I will no longer judge you.

No comments:

Post a Comment