Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas

It's almost 11, and Claire is still asleep. We've had a hectic Christmas and I am letting her sleep as long as she wants and needs. Paul has been up for a while, but played with his new screwdriver and feel back asleep.

This was my first Christmas as a mother where Claire actually paid attention to what was going on. Last year she was 18 months and still a baby, not much aware of her surroundings. In the last year she has developed an incredible memory and keen observation skills. I wanted to start her off right, to teach her the true meaning of Christmas, and to not pollute her with consumerism.

As I thought about it this season, I realized that to me, the true meaning of Christmas isn't Jesus' birth. That is the focal point, or supposed to be, but to me, the true meaning is something different. To me, Christmas is about love. It's about expressing love and gratitude to all those that God has placed in your life. It's about giving, and not material things, but gifts of love and service.

I gave a lot of gifts of love and service this year. I baked at least 15 (I lost count) dozen cookies for the UMW cookie sale. I gave gifts daily to two elderly people through our church's 12 days of Christmas program. I baked cookies for church receptions, for neighbors, and for friends. I had people over for dinner, I shopped for an angel and for two elderly people that aren't able to shop.

I say all this not to get a pat on the back or a gold star on my celestial chart. I did it because I loved doing it. I think it's important for Claire to see me giving and serving, so she develops those skills herself. It wasn't always with a cheerful heart, I confess. A few days I was so stressed out I cried and wanted to give up. But then I would have a conversation with someone, like my old neighbor Jo, and it would put me back on track. I confessed to our friend John that I was overwhelmed delivering the gifts to shut-ins and he told me about his grandmother at our church and the delight and anticipation she has every Christmas as part of this 12 Days program. I confessed to Jo that I was overwhelmed shopping for everyone and she thanked me profusely and confessed her frustration at being blind and unable to drive or shop. I confessed to Adam my frustration with all the poo (literal) that I get my hands in every day and when I fell asleep in the recliner, he went behind me and cleaned house, washed dishes, and bathed Claire.

I find God funny and ironic. I think he has a good time teaching me lessons. I often laugh to myself at something I learned. Every time I get overwhelmed, he sends someone to save me. Every time I judge someone in my mind, he shows me the same trait in myself.

This holiday season I'm so thankful for everything I received, spiritual and material.

No comments:

Post a Comment