Friday, November 11, 2016

A Cornucopia of Thanks

Today I have a cornucopia of thankfulness.  (Honestly, I love the word cornucopia and want to use it as often as possible.) The last two weeks have been grueling, and it's times like this when I treasure each and every piece of happiness.

Here's what I'm thankful for today:
picture from dailypositivequotes.com

1. Friends when you are in need.
I am so thankful for the people that put me right side up when I'm so stressed out that I'm upside down and feeling like Chicken Little. The sky hasn't fallen yet and I'm still standing, thankfully.

2. Weddings
We went to a sweet wedding last week and I was able to hug so many people.

3. Coffee for Jesus
On Wednesday morning, I was feeling down, so I brewed several pots of coffee, stood on the curb and passed out free coffee to TCU students. It was good for my soul to share a smile with strangers and to offer words of encouragement for frazzled college students on their way to take tests. Several people asked me what I was promoting and I reminded them that I was promoting Jesus.

4. Completed homework
I've been struggling with writing and re-writing and re-thinking and re-writing some theological papers, but I finished them, am satisfied I did my best effort, and turned them in. I love that feeling of relief that comes when the paper is sent off via email to your professor and you don't have to worry about it any more.

5. Kumbaya
In one of my classes yesterday, a woman confessed she was trying to feel better by singing. I convinced her to sing to the whole class. Later, when class was halfway over, our entire class, including our professor, sang Kumbaya. It was hilarious and holy and it reminded me that sometimes it doesn't matter that I can't sing on key.

6. Date Night
Last Saturday we left the kids to the capable hands of our fearless babysitter and escaped. I am so thankful that in the midst of our crazy busy lives that occasionally we can stop time and focus on each other. Also, we ended up at the bookstore (predictably) and I'm thankful for my new book.

7. Bedtime rituals
Claire and Paul each have their own special bedtime routine. Claire asks me to growl in her ear every night because it tickles. We have a few quiet moments of talking right before bed. For Paul, we have an elaborate routine. First, I hide under his covers and pretend to be him. He hides behind his door. Then Paul calls Adam and says he's ready to be tucked in. Adam strolls in, pretends not to see me, jumps on the bed, followed by Paul jumping out from behind the closet to scare us all. It is so funny every night.

8. New car battery when I had time to get one
Sunday morning, Adam left to help his parents and the kids and I realized my battery in my car was dead. Luckily it was a weekend day. A kind neighbor jumped the car for us. I went to Auto Zone, and a kind employee replaced my battery for me while we waited. I was so thankful that it was the weekend and that we had time to do that.

9. Sick days
Monday afternoon, Paul came home from school not feeling well. He came home and asked to take a nap. That never happens to this energetic boy. Tuesday morning he woke up with a fever. All plans were cancelled and I stayed home from work and he stayed home from school. He was completely recovered in a few hours. I was so thankful for his quick recovery and for my ability to cancel everything for the day and spend a low-key day at home with him.

10. My communities
I am a part of several communities and I am thankful for them all. I am thankful for my theological friends who can talk Augustine's intersection with real life. I am thankful for several churches where I feel at home. I am thankful for my family both under one roof and extended. I am thankful for my friends that email me back when I send them long essays. I am thankful for my FB messenger friends who send me links, check-ins, and laments. I am thankful for the parents at school that I get to converse with every day from 2:50-3:00. I am thankful for both my jobs and coworkers and friends. I am thankful for my professors who have patience with my ignorance and make me laugh. I am so thankful to be surrounded by good people.


No comments:

Post a Comment