Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Blessings of Banana Bread

This morning I dropped off two loaves of fresh banana bread to a friend from high school. Our 20 year reunion is coming up next year and I hadn't seen her since graduation. I marvel at how my life path has taken me on an unplanned route, and how grateful I am for it.
Next week I head back to class. I'm working to earn my Master of Divinity degree at Brite Divinity School in Fort Worth. Eventually I want to work as a helping pastor in the United Methodist Church and also write Bible studies.
When we had children, Adam and I set up college funds for them. Each month we contribute to them and hopefully by the time they do reach college age, we'll have enough to cover what scholarships won't. That's been part of the plan. What wasn't in the plan was my return to school. So when I did enroll in seminary, it was with the understanding that it wasn't in the budget and I'd have to come up with the funds if I wanted to go. Adam and I both learned about debt the first time we went to college and I vowed not to get a student loan.
So instead of a student loan, I apply for scholarships and bake banana bread. Before I returned to school, I was brainstorming with my friend Ardis about how I could find money for school. She suggested baking banana bread. I love to bake, so it was a natural fit.
It's my fourth semester of baking my way through graduate school. This semester, so far, I've received orders for 57 loaves. Every dollar goes straight to my TCU tuition account, and so far, I've been able to stay debt-free.
I am so grateful to each and every customer. Not only does the money pay my tuition, it is a reminder again and again that I am not going to school alone or for my benefit. I am going to school to learn to serve God and God's people.
Those four eggs, four bananas, and two sticks of butter have also helped me build relationships and reconnect with loved ones from different stages of my life. Today I got to see and hug a woman I haven't seen in almost 20 years. Banana bread is delicious, but it also is an excuse for me to see friends that I've lost contact with. New friends and old friends help me by eating banana bread. Family does, too. On my customer list are high school friends, college friends, stay-at-home mom friends, teacher friends, home church friends, and new church friends. I am grateful for each one.
When I'm in class next week, I'll be thinking and thanking God for each and every person that has supported me in my ministry path. Banana bread and loved ones have helped me arrive this far; I can't wait to see what the future bakes up.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that your banana bread is making your school dreams come true. I think that story should be some sort of Methodist sermon in the future. I have loved reading your blog. Keep the coming

    ReplyDelete