Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Eat your vegetables!

Adam did not grow up eating vegetables. His mother has told me several times that he only would eat macaroni and cheese, pizza, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when he was growing up.

I did not grow up watching football. My dad said he didn't like watching grown men play a child's game. He and my mother hated the Dallas Cowboys and like a good daughter, I followed suit.

Early in our relationship, Adam and I realized we had a problem. He hated foods that I loved and couldn't live without and I hated football, which he loved and couldn't live without. We made a deal, and it stands to this day. I watch football and he eats whatever I cook. After eight years of marriage, it's still working well.

There are several parts of my life that I liken to eating vegetables. You might not like it the first time, or the second time, but by the third or fourth time, you actually enjoy it and are getting something out of it.

I eat vegetables with my reading habits. I love to read fiction, but I rotate between a fiction book and a book that edifies my person, either spiritually or intellectually. Switching off between novels for entertainment and books for education has broadened my horizons. I've found I actually enjoy some non-fiction books.

I also eat vegetables with good deeds. Sometimes I don't feel like taking groceries to by elderly friend, but after I do it, I feel better. I'm constantly making myself go the extra mile in the good deed category. Sometimes I want to and sometimes I just make myself, but almost all the time I'm glad I did.

It's not always rewarding. A recent visit to help my grandfather was frustrating and stressful. (Six remote controls and technical difficulties, plus two kids climbing in my lap crying.) But it's the right thing to do.

I think we were put on Earth to make the world a better place; to help and love each other, so even if I don't want to, I do it. Adam is the same way. I remember driving back from a road trip to Las Vegas. We were already late, but Adam, sick and exhausted, pulled over to change a lady's tire. She was amazed a stranger would do that for her.

Maybe we're getting stars on some celestial chart, but that's not why we do it. We do it because eating your vegetables is good for you.

1 comment:

  1. I get your point, but I just cannot get on fiction books just yet. I am sure I will one of these days, but I just have a hard time with it.

    By the way, just for this post there has been talk with the "Big Boss" that you get seven heaven points. So that is nice.

    To pull the metaphor a bit more, is there a fear that a 'diet' full of veggies is healthier? Vegans argue this often and I hear this from vegetarians as well. So I wonder, is a diet/life consistent of veggies are we living healthier.

    ReplyDelete