Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pace Car

Though I was born in the South and am white, I am not a NASCAR fan. Adam and I have been to a couple of races at the Texas Motor Speedway, but that was only because we got free tickets in the mail from Marlboro. (We posed as smokers one night at a concert. Didn't have to actually smoke, just say that we did, and boom, we get all sorts of gifts in the mail from them.)

Before the race starts, they have a few warm-up laps, where the drivers drive around the speedway behind a pace car. They're not allowed to pass up the pace car. There are reasons for that.

As I've gotten older, my driving has slowed down. Don't get me wrong; I have a history of wild driving, and the driving record to prove it. Adam thinks I drive like an old lady now. Somedays, though, the temperature is just right, the windows are down, and I'm rocking out and hitting the gas. I'll be zooming along and then have to slam on my breaks because some jerk in front of me is actually going the speed limit. After I hit the brakes and take a deep breath, I usually see a police officer on the side of the road. Then I thank God for putting the pace car in front of me and saving me from a ticket or a wreck.

I think God often puts pace cars in front of me to slow me down. Sometimes my pace car is one of my elderly friends. I'll go over to Jo's house, and time will stand still. Sometimes it's one of my children, who bring a toy to me and remind me that there are more important activities than housework. Sometimes it's a stranger who offers a small act of kindness when I'm struggling.

Even as a stay-at-home mom, my life runs a break-neck speeds. I am grateful when I am forced to slow down and appreciate life. Pace cars are blessings.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps, i guess I deleted my previous post. Heck with NASCAR, I am all about INdy. Danica is hot! Wish I could be her when I grow up.
    Anywho, just as long as you don't end up being like those crazy sunday afternoon drivers. Geez, they are all over the road just toodling along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a sermon. You should and need to write a book. Seriously. I just spoke with Nancy about asking you if you would be interested in colleting your thoughts you have already written and any more you would like to add, but compile them into a book for lent next year. I am dead serious on this. Would you be interested in doing something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I want to know if you will let me use your stories with the kids at The Rock and if we do a camp around Lent this year? Please. I'm with Jason - Go Indy! I was glued this weekend. I want to be Danica NOW!

    ReplyDelete