Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Skunks and curse words

I have finally almost successfully trained Claire to say the words "frog" and "bench." Just a short time ago she couldn't pronounce them and when she tried, they sounded like curse words. (I'll let you use your head to figure out which ones.)

Even at church, she was throwing those words around. "Let's go sit on the b...." "Look, there's a picture of a f... in the nursery!"

Anyway, she says those words right now, mostly. Today, though, I taught her about skunks. We were driving through Benbrook and smelled one. I told her about how they spray, stink, etc. She seemed to get the concept.

A couple of hours later, at lunch, she started shouting what sounded like the "c" word to Adam. Yes, the big one. She said it over, and over, and over. It took me several minutes to figure out she was trying to say "skunk."

So heed this warning. If you hear Claire shout the "c" word, you know there's a skunk nearby. And also know that I'm trying to teach her correctly. I will try to explain to people, "No, I don't curse in front of my children. No, she doesn't watch TV with curse words on it. She comes up with these words all on her own." It's the truth!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I do not know what else I could possibly say. There is an "a" word, "b" word, "c" word, "d" word... is there a "word" for every letter of the alphabet?

    ReplyDelete